Vision correction macro/muck diving in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm going to the Philippines next summer for a 2 week dive trip. I will be 50 years old, I wear glasses with bifocals, and I want to make sure I can see all the small stuff on the macro/muck dives. I have been wearing daily contact lenses under my mask for vision correction when diving, and this has worked well, but they don't make daily contact lenses with bifocals which I will need to see small stuff. When I am not diving, I always where my glasses (with bifocals).

Any suggestions for vision correction for muck/macro diving? I could have my mask modified with my vision prescription including bifocals, or I could wear non-daily contact lenses with bifocals under my mask. Other options?

Thanks for the free advice,

DougieG

Hello,

I'm going to the Philippines next summer for a 2 week dive trip. I will be 50 years old, I wear glasses with bifocals, and I want to make sure I can see all the small stuff on the macro/muck dives. I have been wearing daily contact lenses under my mask for vision correction when diving, and this has worked well, but they don't make daily contact lenses with bifocals which I will need to see small stuff. When I am not diving, I always where my glasses (with bifocals).

Any suggestions for vision correction for muck/macro diving? I could have my mask modified with my vision prescription including bifocals, or I could wear non-daily contact lenses with bifocals under my mask. Other options?

Thanks for the free advice,

DougieG
I am in the same boat. They don't make bi focal contacts but they do make multifocal which I use for diving. One version is concentric focusing rings which your eyes become accustom to shifting to focus near or far. The other option I know of are multi focal which has a near prescription for 1 eye and a far for the other. It is a bit weird to get used to but after daily wear you just start using one eye for distance and the other for close. It often takes a slight shift of the face to get it right. Without these I would have a real problem doing any underwater photography. Ask your optometrist what your multi focal options are.

I needed a new mask and had my local dive shop order lens with my nearsighted- bifocal prescription in them. They work just fine, and now I can read my computer much better. ( I am nearsighted and don't need lenses to read but can't read with my nearsighted lenses)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom