Visit Thailand during CNY, and avoid tourists?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHWookie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I have a rather specific question I hoped to throw out to the SB community. My wife and I are Expats living and working in Beijing, and we get the Chinese holidays off.

We plan to visit Thailand for the first time during Lunar New Year, primarily for diving. We would love to see the best of what Thailand has to offer, including Wrecks, Reefs, and ideally Whale Sharks.

We understand that this time of year we will be surrounded by and competing with fellow Chinese tourists. Any recommendations to help stay off the beaten path, while still having an enjoyable time? I saw a tip to look for dive operators that don’t offer websites in Mandarin, which is a good point. Anything else you guys would recommend?

We are both Advanced/Nitrox Certified and relatively experienced divers. We’re open to both short stay Live Aboards and Dive Resorts.

Thanks in Advance!

On daytrips you will still see quite a few Chinese divers, but it can be more or less avoided, website in Mandarin or not. I would recommend to go on a liveaboard, if you pick the boat carefully it will not be flooded with Chinese divers.

Maybe have a look at Koh Lanta - it's a little bit off the beaten track, and you should find some nice peace and quiet to relax during your holidays. The diving is very good too, with Lanta being the best spot for access to Hin Daeng & HIn Muang - good spots for mantas and whale sharks.

Koh Lanta is a better bet to avoid certain crowd from certain country over Lunar New Year!

To avoid Tourists and get Thai diving I think you have to come to Myanmar.

Diving in Myanmar can be combined with Thailand. You can fly into Thailand and the dives are very similar to Richilieu Rock, Tachai or even the Similans.

So it can be a Thai vacation without feeling that you are in another country, except that there are no other people there.

Diving in Myanmar can be combined with Thailand. You can fly into Thailand and the dives are very similar to Richilieu Rock, Tachai or even the Similans.

So it can be a Thai vacation without feeling that you are in another country, except that there are no other people there.

OP was looking for "primarily for diving" and "the best of what Thai has to offer". "Short stay LoB" was also mentioned.
A LoB to Burma is never short stay.

Liveaboard is not how I would do Myanmar, the islands are too beautiful to sleep on a boat. There is already landbased diving. Boulder Bay Eco Resort, Victoria Cliff, Awei Pilar, Wa Ale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom