Visiting Chicago, any diving recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aanderson81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I will be visiting Chicago next week and would love a chance to do some diving. Any recommendations? I've heard there are some decent wrecks in Lake Michigan and would love a chance to see what the diving is like. I understand its late in the season, but I was wondering if there are any boats or dives still running? Sat/Sun work best, but can be available for night as well as I will be staying a few days for a work conference.

There are 2 charter companies. Call Dive right in Scuba or check their website, they run a few boats. There is also Haigh Quarry In Kankakee. The water can be cold depending on what wrecks you visit.

Viz at Haigh has been crappy.

There are 2 charter companies. Call Dive right in Scuba or check their website, they run a few boats. There is also Haigh Quarry In Kankakee. The water can be cold depending on what wrecks you visit.

Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow.
As for the temp, I assume a 7mil will be more that reasonable, I tend to run a bit on the warm side.

Can be low 40s at the wreck. Ask the shop what the site will be and expected temps. Myron is the shop owner.
I always wear a dry suit, but I'm a baby when it comes to water temp.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom