Visiting Monterey next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm visiting a friend in Pacific Grove next week. We regularly dive together in the Caribbean, but haven't done cold water in years and he hasn't been diving there since he moved to PC a few years ago. I could bring my regulator, lights, mask, and Perdix easily, but don't own a wetsuit that's thick enough. Also, it's a quick trip and I was hoping to not pack my backplate/wing and fins just for 1 or 2 dives.

From what I understand, the water is ca. 57 F (14 C) this week, a tad cooler than we dove in Grand Cayman last month (87 F)!

IF we decide to give it shot, are there any recommendations for (1) shops to rent gear from and (2) good places to shore dive for those new to the Bay?

Thanks in advance.
-Don

If your friend recently bought in PG he/she can probably afford to rent a submarine :wink:

I'm visiting a friend in Pacific Grove next week. We regularly dive together in the Caribbean, but haven't done cold water in years and he hasn't been diving there since he moved to PC a few years ago. I could bring my regulator, lights, mask, and Perdix easily, but don't own a wetsuit that's thick enough. Also, it's a quick trip and I was hoping to not pack my backplate/wing and fins just for 1 or 2 dives.

From what I understand, the water is ca. 57 F (14 C) this week, a tad cooler than we dove in Grand Cayman last month (87 F)!

IF we decide to give it shot, are there any recommendations for (1) shops to rent gear from and (2) good places to shore dive for those new to the Bay?

Thanks in advance.
-Don
Bamboo Reef rents good semi-dry wetsuits. Haven't rented a bcd, I don't believe they have backplates. San Carlos Beach/breakwater is a good site to start. Get there early for parking.

You should keep an eye on conditions for your dive. Below is IMO the best tracker. All that green shows that Carmel sites are very sporty the next few days, while the blue in the more protected areas of Monterey, prob doable. Deeper blue is preferable

San Carlos/Breakwater is an excellent dive, and fairly protected, and easy navigation along the wall. If you're there on a weekday, parking should be available. The further out you swim, the more likely you'll get sea lions buzzing by you. There is also the Pipe/Metridium fields, which you may need to get advice on how to find.

McAbee Beach is another fairly protected site, in the summer it has enough kelp canopy to require some navigation, not sure of currently.

Carmel sites often have challenging surf entries, so maybe not good for someone who's been dry for awhile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom