Vista Blue: Boat Anchored in the Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice work...we can't get to the point where Kite Surfers are controlling our diving activities.....
And that’s the way I took it originally, that they were attempting to stop all diving nearby. But now thinking there might be even more to it. :(

I don't understand what makes a Kite Company employee think they have the authority to dictate where divers dive and where they don't.

I don't understand what makes a Kite Company employee think they have the authority to dictate where divers dive and where they don't.

Agreed. Unfortunately I’m sure most divers acquiesce to their commands. Observing her stunned reaction it became obvious that’s what she was expecting. They can all go pound sand. There is an abundance of sand down there as you know.

Who is at fault if a kite surfer hits a diver?

And that’s the way I took it originally, that they were attempting to stop all diving nearby. But now thinking there might be even more to it. :(
What do you think is the "more to it"?

Who is at fault if a kite surfer hits a diver?

That’s a good question and it’s not addressed in the general park regulations to my knowledge. I don’t have an answer, but I suppose it depends on the circumstances. If a diver has to surface due to an issue and pops up in the middle of 25 kites surfers that’s going to be a big problem! For good reason we have never seen divers surface swim near the kite school, however, in other locations roughly 50% are swimming on the surface to and from the reef. This would also be very problematic. It appears activity at the kite school has been increasing dramatically over the years as well as more surfers venturing further and further away, so I assume this may come to a head at some point.

Seems to me it's already coming to a head and divers that want to demand their right of way because "I was here first" and "you can't tell me where do dive or not", had best face it.

Much better idea would be to get ahead of this group to group before bad things happen

It may come down to the kite school having a designated area where divers are not permitted. Essentially this is an unspoken rule today. The kite school has one of the best entries on the island, but the only time you can access it is when school is not in “session”. We see kite surfers and their little boats overhead quite often, but we are no less than 25 feet below the surface (excluding SS). No problem.

Thanks for reporting this....Vista Blue is in my top 5 sites....I've got to start carrying a cutting tool on dives....

I was about to say, if ever there was a time for a dive knife... ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom