Vista Blue: Boat Anchored in the Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the email I received from the Marine Park the kite school has a mooring block in the shallows for their boats and are not allowed to use anchors. Anchors are to be used ONLY in case of an emergency. They said they were going to look into this.

Who is at fault if a kite surfer hits a diver?
Hey Chilly!

To the very best of my knowledge there are only four areas on Bonaire that restrict diving, the town pier and the two marine reserve areas. Plus Salt Pier when ships are present. Otherwise dive sites are more a function of sea conditions and access.

As for kiteboarding, it seems that this is at least partly true for them as well. The Atlantis site (Kite Beach) is the home for the kite schools because of the sea conditions but even more so because of the sandy beach, rare for Bonaire.

But I have seen kiters in south Bonaire from Sweet Dreams to the Pink Beach dive sites. It’s simply common sense not to dive at the school when in session since this area has the highest concentration of kites AND boats but even more so because the kiters are entering and exiting the water here.

The legalities? I have no idea. The Marine Park Rules and Regulations do not address this so it would seem to fall to whomever is operating outside of established procedures. So it seems neither would be at fault.

https://www.infobonaire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/BNMP-Dos-donts.pdf

I would think if you have a dive flag, and you surface near it, the kite surfer is at fault. But with no dive flag, how or why would you hold them accountable? The same if a sail boat hits you at surface, with no dive flag displayed. I am a boater, and it would probably end my love and passion for boating if I ever hit a diver, dive flag or no dive flag. Aside from my emotional trauma, how could I be held accountable for hitting a diver with no dive flag?

Even if you have a flag, a kite boarder doesn't always have complete control of where coming down

I would think if you have a dive flag, and you surface near it, the kite surfer is at fault. But with no dive flag, how or why would you hold them accountable? The same if a sail boat hits you at surface, with no dive flag displayed. I am a boater, and it would probably end my love and passion for boating if I ever hit a diver, dive flag or no dive flag. Aside from my emotional trauma, how could I be held accountable for hitting a diver with no dive flag?

I haven't seen any published regulations concerning dive flags in Bonaire. A dive flag could be irrelevant under whatever laws and regulations are applicable in Bonaire.

Dive flags are not used nor required in Bonaire.

Stinapa Article III 3) Except for sites that the Manager specifically authorizes, it is forbidden to move,
leashed to a kite or any object of this kind, on or above the waters of the Marine Park
that are within 75 meters from the coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom