Vista Blue: Boat Anchored in the Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether or not it is required, if I was diving under the same waters as kite surfers, I would bring a dive flag. Seems like common sense to me. At least they see there is something in the water. As far as them having limited control, at least they see something in the water to try to avoid.

Whether or not it is required, if I was diving under the same waters as kite surfers, I would bring a dive flag. Seems like common sense to me. At least they see there is something in the water. As far as them having limited control, at least they see something in the water to try to avoid.

You gonna bring that flag from home? I don’t have space in my luggage for a typical flag/float. No dive shop on Bonaire is likely to have them.

Towing a flag at dive sites near Kite Beach has been discussed before and I think it is really overkill and of limited value. It would certainly be a hassle. As @Lorenzoid noted you would have to bring one. An alternate is to use a small SMB but while those work fine on drift dives, towing one would (literally) be a real drag :wink:

But a little common sense in diving these areas would be even better. Do not swim out to the reef. Descend asap from the beach and enjoy the creatures in the sandy areas between shore and reef. Avoid popping up to check navigation during a dive and return to shore on scuba. While the kites do get closer to shore near the school its not often and a little extra vigilance should suffice.

If for any reason you had to surface early then one could try shooting a small SMB to give warning but doubt this would even be recognized as a diver surfacing. At most it might allow kiters to try and avoid an object floating on the surface, if they see it in time. Then I have to question whether a kiter hitting a float could be injured.

As posted by @JoeFriday, while they can go beyond tagged areas they are not get within 75 meters of shore.

So @chillyinCanada it seems if a diver is hit within 75 meters and away from tagged zones (we know Kite Beach is one), the kiter would be at fault. Then it remains a question how far to each side of Kite beach the allowance goes. The kiters most definitely travel within this safety zone beyond the beach area of the Kite school including marked dive sites such as Atlantis.

@Soloist apologize for the hijack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom