• Sometimes

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Used to

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's why I won't do visual jumps.

Didn't notice the dates, but when argued to 'It's peacock blah blah blah' I referenced this and said sorry, not doing them.

Also, the dive plan that was to be argued was Peanut line to visual jump onto the dark water tunnel and then visual jump onto the main line. I'm pretty certain that was a fu-cking stupid plan. Needless to say, I did not dive darkwater tunnel.

It's why I won't do visual jumps.

Didn't notice the dates, but when argued to 'It's peacock blah blah blah' I referenced this and said sorry, not doing them.

Also, the dive plan that was to be argued was Peanut line to visual jump onto the dark water tunnel and then visual jump onto the main line. I'm pretty certain that was a fu-cking stupid plan. Needless to say, I did not dive darkwater tunnel.

:hmmm:

You're demonstrating good sense and forethought. Be careful or you'll ruin your reputation!

:giggle:

I did a search and couldn't find any details. Are you able to expand or point me in the right direction to read a report on the incident? In aviation we have crash magazines dedicated to sharing how things went wrong so other can learn and avoid. I would be interested in hearing the story and how it relates to this thread.

Cave divers used to have something like that too, but that group doesn't really support accident analysis for cave divers anymore :shakehead:

Cave Diver thanks for the link (SB search really struggles sometimes...actually all the time :)).
As a Cave curious reader as well, and only having read the link and no formal report, I would have to say that that incident and the preceding incident at Ginne pretty much answer the question posed by Sas. Would appear visual jump = VERY BAD for many reasons. Definitely a link in the accident chain and preventable.

Cave divers used to have something like that too, but that group doesn't really support accident analysis for cave divers anymore :shakehead:

That's a real shame regarding the accident analysis SuPrBuGmAn, a tool like that would definitely save lives. Such analysis should also include non leathal accidents and incidents that could have had serious consequences but were averted by correct actions. Here's hoping someone resurrects the analysis side of things. Today's aviation is far safer for the lessons learned from others errors and experiences. I have access to lot of info on error chains and prevention of accidents and human factors relating to averting accidents with relation to aviation if anyone is interested. I'm sure a google search would reveal most of it anyway. I think it fits well with Cave diving.

This has been an interesting read... even as seldom as I get to dive in caves, I see this on a regular basis. I know a lot of divers who do a visual jump from outside the cave to the gold line at the onset of their dive. In popular caves like P1, I can see it getting pretty convoluted if every one ran a line in. I have done the jump in the Godzilla room with a reel and was glad I did, because I did not recognize it until we made the loop back around. :shocked2:

I think this would have made an interesting t2t thread

:scorned: What, the rest of us aren't good enough to listen in? :scorned:

I think this would have made an interesting t2t thread

Feel free.

I do believe the level of honesty in this pole is seriously flawed. Im not perfect and there are jumps I will do blind at one place only because it comes back out on the main line within four feet. I never swim on the line unless conditions dictate it. Im there to see cave, not line. Its my job to know where that line is at all times, just like you should know how much gas you have without having to look, at least be very close anyway. That being said, I could not possibly count all the divers I have seen doing jumps that are silty and over a ten foot gap from the main line at places like Peacock, JB, Madison Blue and others. There is just no way I would buy this pole as accurate.

This has been an interesting read... even as seldom as I get to dive in caves, I see this on a regular basis. I know a lot of divers who do a visual jump from outside the cave to the gold line at the onset of their dive.

Just an observation from a non-cave-diver . . . the divers that 'hang-out' on the forums tend to be more concerned with learning more about their sport, and are more concerned with overall safety. I think that is why the poll appears skewed from what people observe day-to-day. In other words, the 'safer' cave divers are involved with the forums, and more likely to not skip the put-in-a-jump step.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom