• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Visual Jumps

Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by Sas, Jul 7, 2011.

Do you do visual jumps?

1. Often

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Sometimes

19 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Used to

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Never

48 vote(s)
    65.8%
  1. LiteHedded

LiteHedded Great White

:p

I think a couple people would post things there they wouldn't post here. me for instance...

Cave Diver likes this.
  2. LiteHedded

LiteHedded Great White

ok why not

3. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

It would also be interesting to see the number of people who fail to run lines in wrecks because they're expecting to exit in a different spot than they entered. I'm much less likely to run a line into a wreck, but I'm much more choosy on penetration.

lowviz likes this.
  4. Sas

Sas Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'd be interested to hear what you had to say, especially given I raised the initial point. A few people said the poll is skewed and probably it is... although I did make it anonymous so people would be happy to vote. I am a new cave diver, ~70 cave dives and just over a year certified, and I have been unaware recently that many people broke the continuous guideline rule so am just interested to hear their justification (don't agree with the rule? complacent? etc), any issues they have encountered and so on.

5. JahJahwarrior

JahJahwarrior Solo Diver Staff Member

I feel like people are less likely to be honest when anyone (or even a limited population) can read the remarks. I've had much more candid discussions about visual jumps with buddies who are active in this thread, in person.

I do agree that there are old cave divers and there are foolish cave divers, but very few old, foolish cave divers.

I looked for a way to predict who would break the rules in some research I did quite a while ago now. I keep meaning to reformat the work, to fit into a page or two, and be aimed only at cave divers. I also dream of repeating the research without the time constraints of a due date, the time to get a much larger sample size. I was able to get a much larger sample when doing marketing research on scuba divers, a subject that isn't quite as interesting to me.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42640/CaveDivingRiskPerceptionandBehavior.pdf

Sas likes this.
  6. Sas

Sas Solo Diver

Thanks will check out that article JahJah.

7. SuPrBuGmAn

SuPrBuGmAn Solo Diver

There's nothing I would post there that I wouldn't post here... now if only there were a forum that would allow more upfront postings viewable by only established tech divers(peers), things might get interesting.

CamG likes this.
  8. LiteHedded

LiteHedded Great White

I just assume everyone not posting in that thread is visual jumping like crazy

Cave Diver and Jax like this.
  9. SuPrBuGmAn

SuPrBuGmAn Solo Diver

You can probably assume the same for this thread too.

10. ianr33

ianr33 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Maybe there should be a t2t2 forum ? :wink:

SuPrBuGmAn likes this.