• Sometimes

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Used to

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point conceded! Although I suspect that if any of us timed how long it takes to get a spool out of a full pocket, tie it in, run it over, tie it off, pull the reel and pull the spool, it would end up being longer than we think.

Not to be picky, but why is your gap spool in your pocket and not on your side ready to go? Did that leave your safety missing? and why is a pocket so full that you can't get it out without trouble? I don't mean to start a gear debate, but I am curious. (And I have gorilla hands).

My pockets contain safety spool and extra line cookie saying i left in one pocket and the other pocket has backup tables and backup mask.

Only being allowed 2 jumps, I can safely carry those on my hip until ready for use.

Not to be picky, but why is your gap spool in your pocket and not on your side ready to go? Did that leave your safety missing? and why is a pocket so full that you can't get it out without trouble? I don't mean to start a gear debate, but I am curious. (And I have gorilla hands).

My pockets contain safety spool and extra line cookie saying i left in one pocket and the other pocket has backup tables and backup mask.

Only being allowed 2 jumps, I can safely carry those on my hip until ready for use.
Most of us leave all our spools in our pockets so they don't fall off. You can pop a double ender off the spool accidentally with a quick twist.

That being said, I do like when people don't put spools in pockets, saves me from having to buy my own. Most all the caves in FL use primarily T's, anyways, excluding the few tourist caves.

Most of us leave all our spools in our pockets so they don't fall off. You can pop a double ender off the spool accidentally with a quick twist.

That being said, I do like when people don't put spools in pockets, saves me from having to buy my own. Most all the caves in FL use primarily T's, anyways, excluding the few tourist caves.

Hipster ucfdiver dove all the other caves in Florida before it was cool. I'm going to reveal all caves and make sure they become the tourist caves. Especially the ones where no cert card is required.

I agree, it's a clumsy solution and it's not one I'd use in this situation. Just pointing out that there are alternative ways of doing things when faced with a situation like this.

Rhetorical question, but supposing it was 10' instead of 5'? or 20', or 50'? At one point would it become a jump and necessitate a line? It's personal choice and just something for people to think about before finding themselves in that situation.

How far "off" the line are you willing to swim?

I am willing to go 10ft in most situations. In MX if you go further you can "lose" the line in whiteness. In the example circuit completion to your own reel, I would probably go 15ft since the reel is more obvious than a #18 line. More than that and I would just plan a circuit dive.

Rhetorical question, but supposing it was 10' instead of 5'? or 20', or 50'? At one point would it become a jump and necessitate a line? It's personal choice and just something for people to think about before finding themselves in that situation.

Shooting from the hip, if I could not positively identify my reel I would consider it a jump.

I don't think it's the distance. It's the question, "If the lights went out, would you be sure the line you found would get you home within your gas limits?" In the case of this particular situation, there are three lines -- the one I'm on, the one my reel is tied into, and my own line from my reel. ANY of the three lines will get me home within gas limits, because I got to the end of the line before I hit thirds. So, if the lights go out, as long as I find any line, I'm golden. And it would be very hard, in that particular place, not to find one of the lines pretty quickly.

Anyplace that I could fail to find a line, or find a line that won't take me home, I'd run a gap spool.

I don't store spools on d-rings, for the stated reasons -- when I know a jump is coming, I will pull one out and carry it, usually with the double-ender clipped to the bungie on my compass, for the short time until I use it. In this case, we did not know the line and did not know the end was coming until we turned the corner and saw the intersection.

Can I ask why not use a gap reel in the place of a spool?

Problem with gap reel outside: Gets lost, come undone and snag stuff or tangle.
Problem with gap reels in pocket: Makes hard to get gap reels out.
Proposed Solution: use gap reel.
Problem with proposed solution: reel may jam / break.

Logic: All solutions are failures, better not dive.

(PS, point of not fitting in the pocket was to avoid stuffing in the pocket.)

Non Sequitur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom