visual jumps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiteHedded

Contributor
Reaction score
do you do it? where and why?

scootering, i visual the hill400 and bone lines (with which I'm extremely familiar) at ginnie for instance. all the time.

maybe here we'll see some less cookie-cutter responses.

I'll visual hill400, big room/bone line, and not personally mark the T's in JB on mainline where they're perm marked and both sides meet back up.

well marked T's with a solid team I wont mark either

Reflecting on my answer in the previous thread, I'll change my response from never to sometimes.

The reason for my change is because the correlation was made between running primaries being a visual jump. We always run lines at jumps, and mark intersections. But there have been a few times we've failed to run a primary just because the site was overrun with them already. If there are 2 or 3, I'll run my own. If there is 5-7, probably not. But I'm pretty anal about jump protocol, even if they're only a body length away.

Parrallel line at JB, I can look over and see the goldline for most of that swim. Have done the horseshoe without one also.

not personally mark the T's in JB on mainline where they're perm marked and both sides meet back up.

well marked T's with a solid team I wont mark either

At least one person on our team will mark the exit side of these with a cookie, even the "easy" stuff.

I've seen ginnie springs with the vis "blown" a time or two. it's about on par with the vis I get on most of my normal dives. so I'm confident I could make it out

I will personally "verify" I can come out on a jump with "no vis" before I will do a visual jump.

Usually, I will only visual jump in certain instances, since I figure a few seconds is worth getting out of the cave.

Hill 400 is a common visual jump, and anyone with decent skills should be able to clear that jump in zero vis.

There are others, but again, it's dependent on why I am making the jump, and whether I have proven to myself that I can exit without seeing. (I do the same for places where I may choose to skip running a primary)

I will personally "verify" I can come out on a jump with "no vis" before I will do a visual jump.

How do you "verify" and do you consider it a one time deal? i.e. once you've decided you can VJ, is that implied for subsequent dives or do you "verify" it again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom