Volunteer Diver Recruitment - National Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We are beginning our fall 2014 Volunteer Diver Recruitment. I hope that some of you may be interested in applying to become part of the dive program here at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, MD. I have included some information below. If you are interested, please go to www.aqua.org and follow the links to the volunteer sign up. We will be giving the written test on August 10 and August 20. You will be sent more details about this once you sign up on the website.

Volunteer divers are depended upon at the National Aquarium not only to maintain two major aquarium exhibits but to prepare the diets and feed many of the animals with which they’ll be diving. A diver also serves as an underwater liaison between our visitors and collection animals through personal interactions and public talks.

Upon successful completion of written and in-water recruitment testing processes, a volunteer diver may serve on one of four Dolphin Discovery dive teams or one of fourteen Blue Wonders dive teams. (Placement depends upon availability of team openings.) On the Dolphin Discovery team, a diver is responsible for maintaining the dolphin pools in our amphitheater, using an underwater scrubber and vacuum. Our Blue Wonders dive teams take care of the animals in the Atlantic Coral Reef, maintain the exhibit and interact with our visitors.

Requirements
All volunteer dive applicants must be 18 years of age or older and satisfy both of the following prerequisites:
· Possess a SCUBA certification of Advanced Open Water or higher
· Proof of at least 30 logged dives

Training and Commitment
Volunteer divers will be trained in safely performing the tasks necessary for their program and required to attend general volunteer orientation and training. Divers must commit to work:
· Dolphin Discovery program – one four-hour shift (7:30am-11:30am) every other week on a Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday team
· Blue Wonders: Reefs to Rainforests program – one eight-hour shift (8:30am-4:30pm) every other week on one of 14 teams

Volunteer Benefits
· Smiles and thanks from visitors from all over the world
· Free parking while volunteering
· Professional training
· Membership privileges
· Gift shop and cafe discounts
· Social events and opportunities
· Learning, laughter, wonder, and excitement (unlimited!)
· Year round warm water (76-77 degrees) diving!
· Free DAN First Aid for Professional Divers course

Please feel free to ask questions. I hope to see some of you at the aquarium soon.

Thanks,

Jackie Cooper
Senior ADSO/Aquarist/Volunteer Dive Coordinator

I'll be taking the written test on the 10th. Any advice on what to study? I'm not worried about the diving part of it but I know I should do a little reading on basic marine biology.

I would recommend doing some reading on basic coral reef ecology, sharks, and bony fish plus a quick review of the manuals from you dive classes. That should be a good overview. I hope to see you Sunday.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom