http://www.diveheart.org/

Volunteering as a dive instructor for a marine conservation project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeynl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, when I was doing my DMT in Lembongan I got in touch with some marine biologists who were also in touch with a marine conservation group called Barefoot. They needed dive instructors and with this in mind I recently did my IDC. Sounds like a good idea to get your certifications in and more importantly experience while working for a good cause. Then I wondered about other projects like this, but many of them seemed very commercial. They talk about "our competitors" as if they are not all working for the same cause.

So what do I have to look for for a good marine conservation project? How do I know it is not some commercial business? Where would I find some good ones that are looking for instructors, not just divers?

Sorry if this is not the right group, doesn't seem to fit in any group :/

If you know the name, you can Google that and it should get you their web site. From there, look at how they recruit volunteers--and pay attention to whether those volunteers have to pay money to the organization for the privilege of BEING a volunteer.

You'll get a feel quickly for who is doing real conservation work, versus peddling 'eco-tourism'.

Thanks for starting this thread. There is a group that solicits for dive instructors regularly on the PADI Pro website and I've wondered if they actually do real conservation work.

Hi,

I've worked as a Dive Instructor for Raliegh International in the days when they had SCUBA projects (The instructors were only required to fund their airfare, all other costs were covered by RI for the 3 month trip). However, today they either teach it as a commercial activity or use local commercial operators.

All but one of the 'environmental' type entities, like Coral Caye Conservation, are really tour companies. Reef Conservation International are different as they state upfront they are a holiday company working in the environmental arena.

I've seen a few over the years that were actually doing science. Mostly I interpret it as people looking for free labour for pet projects or cleverly marketed eco-tours.

That doesn't mean it's all useless, just to get well informed before you sign up and make sure that what they are ACTUALLY offering meets your expectations.

R..

Having looked at their 'volunteer' fee, for £200 more I get a full 2 weeks of diving in Thailand. In a mid-range hotel and no roughing it. And I haven't recalculated the other items not included, like dive and travel insurance.

With all that, I agree with Diver0001, they will contribute to scientific knowledge. Just treat these organisations like any other travel company. If it's providing what you're after then go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom