• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Vomiting UW question

Discussion in 'Diving Physics, Physiology, & Medicine' started by TMHeimer, Jun 16, 2021.

1. ofg-1

ofg-1 Course Director

The trick is not so much hurling through your regulator, it more of trying to avoid the cloud of fish food emitted by your buddy after he hurls through his.

And I can tell you from experience, a banana and a nature valley granola bar will pass through a US Divers chrome 2nd stage, no problem.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. Akimbo

Akimbo Just a diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

@Captain Tim

Did his airway clear on its own from the pressure that blow out his lungs or did you and/or the crew do something?

3. BLACKCRUSADER

BLACKCRUSADER Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I'm glad I was taught this is my BSAC classes using a vomit causing solution. I wish this was covered more as I have seen newly certified divers go into near panic and rush to the surface because they had to vomit. Sometimes I vomit and it comes naturally to me like other skill sets on a dive. My regular dive buddies would only be concerned if there was a sudden silence to hearing my barfing. Divers who have never seen others chumming the water to feed the fish do get concerned. Makes a good topic for post dive chats with divers who do not know what procedure to follow if they had to vomit.

4. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    People chew their food to various degrees. My guess is divers probably won't change how they chew to avoid this vomit problem. They should, but I doubt they will.

Akimbo likes this.
  5. crzyfish

crzyfish Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I've done both, reg in and reg out. You have to be conscious of your actions. Inhalation, hold the air, Reg OUT, SPEW, rinse your mouth, spit, Reg IN, exhalation, inhalation. It's a conscious effort. It takes a lot of planning while you're getting nauseated and planning your next action. I'd rather keep my reg in, blow chunks, then purge a few times.

6. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Chew your food. No chunks

:)

crzyfish likes this.
  7. Graeme Fraser

Graeme Fraser Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    And don't eat carrots. They have a unique ability to reconstruct in your stomach regardless of chewing vigor.

8. JustSurfaceInterval

JustSurfaceInterval ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  9. Duke Dive Medicine

Duke Dive Medicine Medical Moderator Staff Member

Seemingly? See if YOU get any! :wink:

10. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Any full face mask user out there ever barf in their mask?