• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Vortex Accident - T2T

Discussion in 'Technical Diving Specialties' started by Cave Diver, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

Thanks Mat. I've got one more question concerning something I was told. It was reported that the gate was open in this post:

Was it found open in the manner described here?

Based on the modification to the hinges that was described, if the victim had been the last one through the gate, it should have opened from the opposite side and hanging by the lock. Before I go any further, is this how it was found? Or was it found open in the traditional manner described above?

2. SandyRobinson

SandyRobinson Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Sorry if this has been covered but was he supposedly on the main line, on a jump, blind jump, or just off a main or other line?

3. Spd 135

Spd 135 Solo Diver

4. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    When I went in Friday night, the gate was open from the opposite side. The "hinges" on the gate have never been real hinges. Opening the gate usually consisted of dragging the bottom through the sand. I would just hang from the chain on that side.

There is a main line with one T in this system. All the line in the system is white cave line. There are some side "passages" that don't go anywhere. You can see them pinch down from the main line.

5. packman

packman Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thank you all for the information posted on here.

This was a stupid, stupid death. What a waste.

6. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Wow... it's almost more information than I wanted/needed.

When I became an instructor at the turn of the century, Reggie Ross commented that a predominant number of people found dead in caves are OW instructors without cave training. How sad.

I remember diving at Vortex and my buddy wanting to head on down to the gate. He had no overhead training, so there was NO WAY I was going to do that. His kicking would have silted us out in no time. I have always wanted to go back and check it out, but there is nothing down there worth dying for.

7. packman

packman Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    There's nothing in any of them worth dying for.

8. scubapolly

scubapolly Instructor, Scuba

Ok, this part of the quote from the "non diving friend" made me laugh:

I assume they are referring to Edd, but saying the person is more experienced than Ben sure doesn't narrow it down much.

One thing I don't get- the guy is from TN, but he has been diving Vortex nearly everyday for 2-3 months. Did he have a job?

Thanks to all who have put forth an effort in the recovery. Seeing all the details I think this guy is proof that Darwinism happens in cave diving.

9. netmage

netmage Rest in Peace Rest in Peace

Just two weekends ago I was 2 decks down inside the Rodeo 25, and you know what I find laying in the corner - a spare air - full of 32%... All properly labeled as if someone had went and did the math of how many breaths, the nitrox mix, etc...

Despite all the warnings in print, video, training, conventions, dive clubs, etc... - the rules, guidelines, whatever are being broken - every single day... :idk:

10. BabyDuck

BabyDuck Rebreather Pilot

tim, did it have 'hello kitty' on it??

Tortuga68 likes this.