Vortex Accident - T2T

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Mat. I've got one more question concerning something I was told. It was reported that the gate was open in this post:

The solo diver (who was only OW certified) told the deputy that he dove down to the gate (which is a cave dive). He stated that he noticed a bottle just past the Grim Reaper sign next to the white pipe. The solo diver also stated that he noticed that the gate was open.

Was it found open in the manner described here?

We always lock the chain and lock, with the gate open. Not really a big deal. Wrap the chain around the grate and lock it. Pull the gate closed to keep ow divers from wandering in, or push it open and leave it. It takes work to move it either way.

Based on the modification to the hinges that was described, if the victim had been the last one through the gate, it should have opened from the opposite side and hanging by the lock. Before I go any further, is this how it was found? Or was it found open in the traditional manner described above?

Sorry if this has been covered but was he supposedly on the main line, on a jump, blind jump, or just off a main or other line?

I was told he does have some money and the gear in question may actually have been a VR3 that he recently purchased. The mapping question came from a non-diving person who was asking for clarification about some of the stuff the family has been told.

I've also been told there is a karst/sinkhole somewhere in the woods in Vortex and he may have been trying to map/connect the two. That's the reason for the dogs being brought in.

Shane and I (late winter this year) checked a pond out front toward the highway. This pond seems to keep its level all year and during droughts. We probed the bottom all day (shallow) and found only hard sand. The water was cool and probably is part of Vortex but there is nowhere that it is open. We were pretty thorough. This pond has been the subject of speculation for quite a few over the past few years. That is why we checked it. This is probably the subject of the rumour. Mr. Vic also spoke about it, several years back, before he passed. I have not heard of another, but maybe there is another somewhere.

Based on the modification to the hinges that was described, if the victim had been the last one through the gate, it should have opened from the opposite side and hanging by the lock. Before I go any further, is this how it was found? Or was it found open in the traditional manner described above?

When I went in Friday night, the gate was open from the opposite side. The "hinges" on the gate have never been real hinges. Opening the gate usually consisted of dragging the bottom through the sand. I would just hang from the chain on that side.

carobinsoniv:
Sorry if this has been covered but was he supposedly on the main line, on a jump, blind jump, or just off a main or other line?

There is a main line with one T in this system. All the line in the system is white cave line. There are some side "passages" that don't go anywhere. You can see them pinch down from the main line.

Thank you all for the information posted on here.

This was a stupid, stupid death. What a waste.

Wow... it's almost more information than I wanted/needed.

When I became an instructor at the turn of the century, Reggie Ross commented that a predominant number of people found dead in caves are OW instructors without cave training. How sad.

I remember diving at Vortex and my buddy wanting to head on down to the gate. He had no overhead training, so there was NO WAY I was going to do that. His kicking would have silted us out in no time. I have always wanted to go back and check it out, but there is nothing down there worth dying for.

Ok, this part of the quote from the "non diving friend" made me laugh:

The person who is making the dive lives in the area but was out of town. He has flown back into town to make the dive and locate the body. He is the most experienced cave diver around, more so than Ben,

I assume they are referring to Edd, but saying the person is more experienced than Ben sure doesn't narrow it down much.

One thing I don't get- the guy is from TN, but he has been diving Vortex nearly everyday for 2-3 months. Did he have a job?

Thanks to all who have put forth an effort in the recovery. Seeing all the details I think this guy is proof that Darwinism happens in cave diving.

I remember diving at Vortex and my buddy wanting to head on down to the gate. He had no overhead training, so there was NO WAY I was going to do that. His kicking would have silted us out in no time. I have always wanted to go back and check it out, but there is nothing down there worth dying for.

Just two weekends ago I was 2 decks down inside the Rodeo 25, and you know what I find laying in the corner - a spare air - full of 32%... All properly labeled as if someone had went and did the math of how many breaths, the nitrox mix, etc...

Despite all the warnings in print, video, training, conventions, dive clubs, etc... - the rules, guidelines, whatever are being broken - every single day... :idk:

tim, did it have 'hello kitty' on it??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom