Vortex Accident - T2T

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I don't get- the guy is from TN, but he has been diving Vortex nearly everyday for 2-3 months. Did he have a job?

Thanks to all who have put forth an effort in the recovery. Seeing all the details I think this guy is proof that Darwinism happens in cave diving.

I was contacted by two of the posters from Tennessee asking for clarification on some of the terms and things used in the original thread. That's where my previous mapping question originated.

One of them told me that he had been in Florida for a month or so working a job. They indicated he was making pretty decent money, which made me think he might have been part of the BP clean up (total assumption on my part). They said he was staying at a condo that his parents owned here.

Then a week or so ago, just prior to this incident he returned home to TN for several days.

When I went in Friday night, the gate was open from the opposite side. The "hinges" on the gate have never been real hinges. Opening the gate usually consisted of dragging the bottom through the sand. I would just hang from the chain on that side.

Thanks Rob. The reason I ask was because I was told the gate was locked open in the normal fashion. That would have indicated that someone with a key to the gate had been through it after Ben, since he didn't have a key to that lock.

Just two weekends ago I was 2 decks down inside the Rodeo 25, and you know what I find laying in the corner - a spare air - full of 32%... All properly labeled as if someone had went and did the math of how many breaths, the nitrox mix, etc...

Despite all the warnings in print, video, training, conventions, dive clubs, etc... - the rules, guidelines, whatever are being broken - every single day... :idk:
What's wrong with a spare air of 32%? :idk:
YouTube - Spare Air: Diver's Salvation

What's funny? That's my Spare Air in the video. No, I won't tell you how I got it, but no, I didn't buy it. :D

I know the video was in the comedy section. It really was funny. :D

I'm posting this here before it hits the general board. PLEASE keep this back here for the time being!

Ben is the one in the white helmet/sidemount.

Edit - I got a copy posted on the general board now. I wanted to download a copy before posting it, because I bet it ends up getting pulled off of YT.

Last edited:
Is he using the two helmet mounted lights as a primary light? I noticed they were both turned on...

Edit - I got a copy posted on the general board now. I wanted to download a copy before posting it, because I bet it ends up getting pulled off of YT.

They may pull it down from there, but I got it up over at
Ben McDaniel at Vortex Springs

Need a video expert to add some light to the thing so we can see it better..

I'm posting this here before it hits the general board. PLEASE keep this back here for the time being!

Ben is the one in the white helmet/sidemount.

Who's who...?

The obviously rec diver blowing bubbles, standing in the cave?

Or the side mounting white helmet guy...?

Whats with the banging gong,....?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom