VT4 O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronRiot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I need to replace the battery in my computer. Batteries were easy enough to find. Looking for the o-ring sizes for both the computer and transmitter. Thanks kindly. I emailed twice some time ago and got no response....

Note: I'm not at all interested in taking it in to a dealer to replace a battery, I'm perfectly capable myself.

I would call them up they are great on the phone.
Really not great with getting back to you via email.

I called the 800 number a few times during business hours and the number did not work. I'd rather not sit on hold paying cellular long distance to the US.. Figured someone who also uses a vt3/vt4 might know offhand..

I called the 800 number a few times during business hours and the number did not work. I'd rather not sit on hold paying cellular long distance to the US.. Figured someone who also uses a vt3/vt4 might know offhand..

I suspect you would be wasting your dime calling. I doubt if they would be willing to divulge that information which would result in their dealers losing business.

If you do not find any help, it is really quite easy to measure what you have to determine the replacement size. You can bet they will be standard sizes. The thickness will likely be 1/16 inch but could be 3/32. Then measure inner and outer diameter which will increment in 1/16 inch steps. Any 2 of those measurement will allow the calculation of the third so you have a built-in check. Then you will have the sizes you need to go shopping. Material and hardness are not as critical but also necessary decisions. Nitrile will work fine and I would look for duro 70 hardness which tend to be readily available.

Of course, it is entirely possible that it is metric sized.. The Atom 3.1 computer O-ring is 1.2mm cross section and appears to be 27.5mm diameter. I haven't found a source for that size, but 26mm diameter is available. Perhaps this is the size and it gets stretched.. I'll likely buy an o-ring from a LDS first and see what diameter it is before venturing off on my own.

The point is, Oceanic is known to use metric sized o-rings on some computers, and perhaps on others as well, so you can't assume that it's an imperial size.

Of course, it is entirely possible that it is metric sized.. The Atom 3.1 computer O-ring is 1.2mm cross section and appears to be 27.5mm diameter. I haven't found a source for that size, but 26mm diameter is available. Perhaps this is the size and it gets stretched.. I'll likely buy an o-ring from a LDS first and see what diameter it is before venturing off on my own.

The point is, Oceanic is known to use metric sized o-rings on some computers, and perhaps on others as well, so you can't assume that it's an imperial size.

I suspect a 2-023 or 2-024 will do the job nicely. In fact, if you are measuring a used o-ring, I suspect it was a 2-023 originally. The mfgr is located in CA and designing for use of metric o-rings would just increase production cost.

That's what I had thought at first, but was convinced otherwise. 1/16" is 1.58 mm, so it would require quite a lot of stretch to thin it down to 1.2mm. I hope that new designs use common AS o-rings, but I am now convinced that the Atom 3 at least is metric, and a non-standard metric at that.

Marcushall is right about the Oring size of the Atom 3.1 computer. Indeed, the Atom 3.1 uses a metric size Oring, 1.2mmx27.5mm, as he points out.

However, the VT4 is a different animal. It uses a standard B026 ASTM Oring, which is 1/16" x 11/4 ". Buna N, duro 70 is fine.

Have you been able to find Atom 3.1 o ring?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom