Vyper Wrist mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'll be buying a new computer in the next couple days. The ones I'm looking at are the Suunto Vyper and the Uwatec Pro Ultra. I like the gauge mode on the Vyper but the wrist strap looks small and flimsy, just like a watch band. I'm concerned that it might break easily or that it simply won't fit over a thick suit. Anyone who has used please let me know on these concerns.

Thanks much,

Tom

Tom,

I have a wrist-mounted Vyper.

You are correct -- the Vyper wrist-band is basically a watch band held on by 2 spring-loaded "pins". Despite the appearance, they are pretty durable. I've taken them off and put them pack on again, and they hold tight

The band I have has plenty of slack for fitting over a thick suit (I use a 7mm and have relatively sizeable arms)......So much slack that I could probably put the thing over my upper arm with no problem.

One solution is to replace the band with bungee loops....which is pretty easy. Lost Yooper ( a regular here) sent me a recent picture of this if you are interested (send me a private message if you want em to send them). You bascially pop off the bands using a small screw-driver (the kind used for repairing glasses work best). Then pop the Vyper our of the boot. Set up the bungees and then pop the Vyper back into the boot and you're all set. Much easier to get on and off with thick gloves on (I've done this with my Suunto wrist-mount compass as well).

Hope this helps.

-Chris

Yea, that definately helps. It allays my primary concern about the Vyper. The Vyper now moves slightly ahead of the Uwatec in my internal voting process.

The major factor in favor of the Uwatec is that I've had 2 versions (original Alladin and Alladin Pro) of that computer in the past so I'm very comfortable with the interface, the durability of the unit as a whole, and the decompression algorythm used.

Major factors in favor of the vyper are gauge mode, deeper depth readout, user-changable battery, lower profile on wrist.

Thanks again.

Tom

ps- will try to figure out how to IM you to ask for that picture!

I got my Vyper a few months back, and have used it with a dry suit, and with a "light-weight" neoprene suit.

No problem for me --- though I have added an extra bungy loop on it "just in case".

Chris - I'll send you a PM, I'm interested in how you've set yours up.

I'm interested in this setup as well (bungee as backup or replacement for wrist strap). Is there a link to instructions/photos available?

Thanks

I forgot to tell everyone that someone else sent me a link showing another method of attaching bungies to a Vyper. With this method, even if one pin did come off, you still wouldn't lose the computer. Something for ya'll to consider anyway.

http://63.195.54.253/Bakalite/SCUBA/Gauges/Gaugesbungee.html

Mike

Thanks much guys. Based on your input and input from others I ordered up a Vyper (and the PC interface too)today.

The strap thing was a biggie and now I know 2 different ways to make that more secure. Takes care of my doubts.

Anyone run a battery down yet? Wondering what average battery life is in the real world...

Tom

Back
Top Bottom