W4 7mm Sizing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GilesClarke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had a sizing question about the W4 wetsuit which I hoped you might be able to answer.
I realize that it is difficult to discuss sizing without seeing the suit in person, but here goes:
I recently tried on the W4 wetsuit in both ML and Large, as I was right on the cusp between ML and Large.

I initially decided to go smaller, since I read that the suits run a little large.
I tried on the ML and it fit well, so I ordered the L for comparison, but ended up more confused than confident.

The ML fits snug, but not uncomfortable or restrictive. The wrists and ankle length is great. The elbow and knee articulations settle where they are supposed to.
It is snug across my upper torso, but I have full range of motion in my arms. I can "bear hug" in front of me and raise both arms above my head.

The lower back area of the ML suit sits flush with my lower back when I am standing straight, but does "trampoline" a bit when I bend forward.

The legs do feel snug (no uncomfortable), and I feel a bit of the rubber-bandy sort of feeling in them when I kneel, squat or sit, but my range of motion is not constricted by the suit.

The only issue is through the seat/buttocks area. When I bend over, I feel it tug where the zipper ends at the lower back. I still have full range of motion, but my concern is whether this strain, over time, is going to cause the seams to rip.

I hadn't noticed it in previous wetsuits I've worn and attribute it to the back zipper on the W4 coming down a bit further than standard suits.
_____
When I put on the Large, it definitely dons and dofs much easier than the ML, and fits slightly less snug than the ML, but is not loose.

The lower back area does have some more room between my skin and the fabric, but is not loose either.

Overall, it does feel like I have a bit more room in the suit, but nothing severe.
I haven't taken either suit in the water, but I would imagine that going into the water would loosen the suit slightly. So, I'm concerned the Large might become too big in the water, even though it is comfortable on land.

However, I've also heard that neoprene shrinks over time, so I don't know if I should go with the large in anticipation of it shrinking.

Based on this information, do you have any suggestion on what size I should go with?
If you need me to proved any other info I can do so.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom