WA Port help for Nauticam & Olympus EM5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Audsred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I just upgraded my system to the EM5 & Nauticam housing w/ 12-50 lens/port. I was wondering if I could get your suggestions on what dome/wide angle port to buy as I've read about variations (on Wetpixel & this forum) on combinations different than the basic Nauticam chart on their webpage?

I already have the 9-18 Olympus lens from my EPL3 system - but to be honest I would like to try the 8mm Panasonic Fisheye lens too - is there a port that would work for both? The Nauticam port chart lists the 4" wide angle port for the 9-18 lens and either the 4.33" or 3.5" dome port for the Panasonic. Would one or more of these work for both of the lens and what is the pro/con of the different ports with these 2 lens?

Thanks so much for the input.
Audrey

Hi Audrey
The OMD is a great camera and will give you fantastic results. Congratulations you have a fantastic kit.
Unfortunately the only ports that will work with the 8mm are the 4" mini dome and the 3.5" dome port.
The only way to get the full potential of the 12-50 mm as a wide angle is by using it with the 9-18 dome port. Or behind the flat port, either behind the dedicated port which cost around $800 or behind the macro port 65.
You can get a custom built zoom gear for the 12-50 that will give you zoom control but not access to the macro function.
This option will let you use external dioptres for your macro shots as well as external wide angle lenses like the Inon UWL H100.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/452260-wa-wet-lens-oly-12-50-a.html
I personally shoot with the 8mm and the 60mm. The 9-18 lens you already have is a great solution for basic wide angle. Much more forgiving than using the 8mm when minimal distance to subject is absolutely essential.

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the info - question - why doesn't the 9-18 work behind a 3.5 & 4.33 domes? Does it have to do with curve of the dome? The reason I ask is that I used the 9-18 lens with a Zen dome on my Epl3 & Olympus housing.

I do have the Nauticam zoom gear & port for the 12-50 lens - which I am going to use on my up coming trip to Bonaire. I am going to work with just that lens so that I become familiar with the housing and the get comfortable shooting macro and WA with it. If I feel I need more macro I can always add the 60mm lens and it's my understanding that the 12-50 port with work with that lens.

So my thought was to add more of a WA option since I already have the 9-18 - but was hoping a single port would work for when I add the Pan lens.

Almost all of my pictures are taken when I travel so I wanted to try and keep my gear limited (plus it helps keep the cost down too). I would love to rent the lens and ports to try them first but I live in Minnesota and no one has them to rent here.

Thanks again Mario

I have the 9-18mm and the 8mm lenses. I see no reasons why the 4.33" dome could not work for the 9-18mm with a 30mm extension ring. The proof is in some controlled tests. Anyone up to try this? I do not have the 30mm extension... :)

Back
Top Bottom