WA, Puget Sound New Guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slugger

New
Reaction score
Finally decided that I would look into getting certified. Coming up on 48 and pulling the trigger. In the PS my whole life and always swam like a fish. Looking forward to seeing what's down under, but also have a healthy fear of the dangers. Looking to take the open water, wet suit and nitrox certs together. Still have a long way to go but think I have a lds figured out for training.

I've been researching here a couple weeks now. It's like trying to drink from a fire hose. I've already got a mask and snorkel I've had a long time but now have a pair of jet fins on the way from sunny Florida.

Anyway I'm on a never ending course of learning. Thanks for all your input!
Doug

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...good luck with your classes and enjoy the deep blue sea.

Welcome! I'm from the "other corner" of the country (Maine) but currently in Texas. I just turned 48 and got certified last year. Hope to make it up your way next year to dive Puget Sound.

Hey all, sounds like there is hope for this moldy oldy. I'm out in the sticks about 40min East of Seattle in Monroe. Planning on training with Lighthouse Dive Shop. Any experience with them?

No personal experience. You are closer to my favorite shore dive, Keystone Jetty than me! (though it is more of an advanced shore dive due to currents that can push you into the ferry lane).

In general the shop is less important than the instructor. See if you can find out who the instructors are, then go digging a bit more.

Personal opinion - given how much PADI and NAUI have now "dumbed down" instruction, and try to cram too much is to too little time I think most people graduating OW1 are barely safe to dive around here.

Yeah I was talking to a buddy of mine who dives about currents. They definitely have my attention. My mind goes nuts with really bad ideas of what "could be".

Best dives here are current sensitive. But, you don't jump into that end of the pool right away. You get a lot of dives in controlled conditions first, then start adding challenges. Just diving at first is challenging enough.

Left you are personal message.

Welcome from near Green Lake! Lighthouse is one of the Seattle-area "oldies." I bought my first dive gear there or at Underwater Sports years ago.

FWIW, I'm 51 and still diving after 30-odd years. Loving it more now than when I was 19 and newly certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom