Wait time after getting implants?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
No, not THOSE kind of implants. :) I’m headed back to Asia next week for 3 months and am getting 2 dental implants while I’m there. On the first day I get there they’ll be putting the posts in, then letting them heal before putting crowns on. The teeth are in my back right upper (#2) and back left lower (#18) jaw, and I had the bone grafts done about a year ago when they were extracted due to their root canals failing. Like I said, I’m taking care of this on my first day back so I will minimize the amount of time I can’t drive, but I have no clue how long I should wait for before I head underwater. The surgeon (a non-diver) said two weeks, but that seems a little excessive considering that the only time there really would be a concern would be the extraction, since it would possibly lead to the sinus cavity… Since the graft is already done, they basically are just drilling holes and putting posts in.. can anybody shed some light on this for me?

I’m 36, relatively healthy if a tad overweight, typically heal at a normal rate, don’t drink alcohol at all, use a nicotine vaporizer, and my regulator mouthpiece is molded and doesn’t touch the area of the teeth (or lack thereof) in question. The water I’ll be diving in is tropical and very clear (no mud water). I read the article written by someone or other in the dive magazine, but while remarkably thorough in explaining the history and process itself, it was rather vague in specifics relating to how long after posts were put in a diver should wait before getting in the water.

Perhaps @vincent54 @Laurence Stein DDS could chime in, or others knowledgeable in this area?

Back
Top Bottom