Wakulla Springs B-Tunnel Video (WKPP)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brb duct taping two scooters together
We nose clipped a pair of Hollis scooters together 5 or 7 years ago and messed around in our local quarry a few times using both hands to control the backs. They were surprisingly fast and stable that way. We were just playing around. Never really thought about actually using them that way for real diving. It was fun though.

I thought SCR was generally frowned upon by.. pretty much everyone? I guess if WKPP is using them then I am mistaken. What's the scoop?

I thought SCR was generally frowned upon by.. pretty much everyone? I guess if WKPP is using them then I am mistaken. What's the scoop?

They're a bunch of kooks. You should see how bad all those guys dive.

We’ve been using pscr for decades, starting with the PVR-BASC “fridge” in the late 90s.

IMO for long range cave diving there’s nothing better than the RB80.

Last edited:
They have been using the RB80 PSCR for all of their big explorations. It's basically a gas extender fed from two big OC-type tanks and plug-in stages. The counterlung is a rubber bellows system that replaces a certain volume fraction of the loop gas mechanically with every breath. Very simple and very reliable. If you plugged in the right gas and can breathe you don't have to worry about the loop going hypoxic or hyperoxic due to cell, controller, or solenoid failure.

Their issue with the early CCRs was the many potential points of failure. (Remember the box-o-death that would loose power and recalibrate after jumping into the water)

As CCRs became more reliable, GUE evaluated several models internally and now offers courses for the JJ. The choice of the JJ has little to do with the name and a lot with how this CCR meshes with their OC backup and support philosophy.

However, the RB80's massive scrubber capacity (8+ hours) is hard to beat and therefore you will see the RB80 continue to be WKPP's tool of choice for big explorations and anything that leads to those. No need to fix what's not broken.

(I am not a WKPP member, do not play one on TV, but that's the reasons I was told. Experts please correct me if necessary.)

Last edited:

Realize that the term SCR encompasses several different designs of operation. The RB80 is well regarded, and its method of operation is well-suited to deep cave exploration. Other SCR’s that function differently may be inappropriate for that type of diving. SCR’s are typically considered a compromise by most rebreather divers, however the RB80 is the standout.

They have been using the RB80 PSCR for all of their big explorations. It's basically a gas extender fed from two big OC-type tanks and plug-in stages. The counterlung is a rubber bellows system that replaces a certain volume fraction of the loop gas mechanically with every breath. Very simple and very reliable. If you plugged in the right gas and can breathe you don't have to worry about the loop going hypoxic or hyperoxic due to cell, controller, or solenoid failure.

Their issue with the early CCRs was the many potential points of failure. (Remember the box-o-death that would loose power and recalibrate after jumping in the water)

As CCRs became more reliable recently, GUE evaluated several models internally and now offers courses for the JJ. The choice of the JJ has little to do with the name and a lot with how this CCR meshes with their OC backup and support philosophy.

(I am not a WKPP member, do not play one on TV, but that's the reasons I was told. Experts please correct me if necessary.)
That’s correct. The Wkpp doesn’t use CCRs though and has no plans to change in the foreseeable future.

I don’t see any evidence to suggest the ccrs are more reliable, just that people have done a better job at reducing the consequences of failure through better protocols and planning.

There’s one cave that Brian and I are exploring where we get about one day to dive it a year due to conditions. Aborting a dive due to an equipment failure is not something we’re interested in. The RB80 reduces a lot of that potential compared to a CCR.

kelemvor, CCR’s have a tremendous amount of capability in a small package, 10 hours strapped to your back. But, there are some other significant considerations involved that make the RB80 an equal or better choice in some cases.

I’m surprised GUE didn’t go with the SF2 when they developed their CCR program. It’s basically just an RB80 with a solenoid and a different bellows setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom