Wanna know best breath technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

such breath pattern is kinda common under the water, but we breath a different pattern at the surface: inhale, exhale, and then pause. have you tried this pattern underwater?
no i just inhale then pause then exhale slowly

such breath pattern is kinda common under the water, but we breath a different pattern at the surface: inhale, exhale, and then pause. have you tried this pattern underwater?
All the time. I pause in my breathing cycle so that I'm always neutral. If I'm light, that's going to be on empty or almost empty lungs.

That being said, the easiest breathing is pausing on full lungs... at least for me. It just seems more natural and I get my best SAC there. Minimal changes from that position are the easiest to accommodate.

Cautionary note: Never, ever "hold your breath". No, it's not the same as pausing. No, it's not even close. Holding your breath happens when you physically occlude your airway and this is very dangerous. You can accomplish this by closing your mouth or glottis. Either way, if you ascend with either in the closed position the air expanding in your lungs will find another path, usually through your aveoli. This leads to air an embolism, mediastinal emphysema or other barotrauma. It's not good and is why I say that that Boyles law really stands for "Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode, Stupid!" Pausing your breathing leaves your mouth and glottis completely open, and uses your chest muscles along with your thoracic muscles to pause your breathing. That's it. BTW, you use your glottis when you cough or speak a word that begins with an "a". It's incredibly important that you never close this during your dive.

I've always been taught to try and exhale for twice the time I inhale. In general I do 3 sec inhale / 6 exhale with 1 or 2 sec of pause.

But I agree the biggest improvement I saw on me was getting good trim and being completely relaxed. Never force holding your breath or exhaling to be exactly x seconds, do what feels natural to you and try to do it as slow as possible (to the point where it's still comfortable).

Hello experts
I finished my advanced course ...i need to stay diving more time and keep my air as i can ...i always breath about 6 times by miniute i stay diving max time 45 min
Need to know the best breath technique
Regards
Yeah, your conversation is about breathing, but it looks like your real question is about extending your air time.
Multiple folk have already weighed in on your weight/trim/buoyancy, so that is covered. Another big one could be your fins. A lot of beginners cheap out and get something "good enough." Maybe you didn't, but if your fins are more snorkel than scuba, upgrade to something more efficient. The less work you are doing, the longer your air is lasting.

I've always been taught to try and exhale for twice the time I inhale. In general I do 3 sec inhale / 6 exhale with 1 or 2 sec of pause.

But I agree the biggest improvement I saw on me was getting good trim and being completely relaxed. Never force holding your breath or exhaling to be exactly x seconds, do what feels natural to you and try to do it as slow as possible (to the point where it's still comfortable).

Agreed. In fact I tend to inhale for a slow count of four and exhale for a slow count of eight; making sure to breathe from the diaphragm unless fine buoyancy control is called for at the time. Over the years I've found this has improved my SAC considerably, most probably because it tends to slow me down so I don't over exert myself. However as others have said any amount of breathe control will do little if you're trim / weighting are poor.

As otrhers have said, Buoyancy,trim, relax, simplify your rig to carry only what you need, dive and dive more... it will come

There is nothing magical about it. Just don't breathe as much. Get relaxed, be efficient and don't waste energy or gas. When you get it dialed in you should be breathing about 2 to 3 times per minute. I have been told that we only metabolize about 25% of the oxygen in each breath.

There is nothing magical about it. Just don't breathe as much. Get relaxed, be efficient and don't waste energy or gas. When you get it dialed in you should be breathing about 2 to 3 times per minute. I have been told that we only metabolize about 25% of the oxygen in each breath.

Stick an o2 analyzer to your lips and notice an exhale reads ~17% when calm... Hold a breath for 30 seconds and get 14%. Around 11% the co2 buildup starts feeling bad.

Underwater the hypercapnia response is significant... Panic and feeling "dark narced" happens quickly. Starving our breath is a risky method of making our tanks last longer.

100% on board with calming and lowering matabalic need though. Trim, efficiency and relaxation all make a huge difference. Focusing on trying to save air is often counterproductive and can be dangerous.

Stick an o2 analyzer to your lips and notice an exhale reads ~17% when calm... Hold a breath for 30 seconds and get 14%. Around 11% the co2 buildup starts feeling bad.

Underwater the hypercapnia response is significant... Panic and feeling "dark narced" happens quickly. Starving our breath is a risky method of making our tanks last longer.

100% on board with calming and lowering matabalic need though. Trim, efficiency and relaxation all make a huge difference. Focusing on trying to save air is often counterproductive and can be dangerous.

I would like to see this done at depth. I definitely breathe less underwater than I do on land.

Back
Top Bottom