Want to dive Great Lakes -- where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry if I should have found this already, but where do I start reading if I want to begin the process of planning a wreck diving trip to the Great Lakes? I have about 80 dives, many in quarries, and a wreck, nitrox, and drysuit card, but honestly, very little wreck experience. I want to ease into it. Not eager to penetrate wrecks or do anything risky, just want to try something different from the same-old Caribbean sites.

Thanks in advance.

You asked... ;-). I’m a Great Lakes wreck obsessed diver. :D

Come to Chicago! You get a nice city trip combined with some great wreck diving! There are a bunch of wrecks 60ft and shallower. Material Service Barge and the Louisville are my favorites.

This is the charter op I use. Sister to Dive Right in Scuba. They run a great op.
Sun Dog - Double Action Dive Charters

Wrecks
Great Lakes Shipwrecks-Double Action Dive Charters

Sun Dog goes out of Hammond, IN, just across the border from Chicago. Has a very nice fin on ladder (don’t have to take your fins off to climb ladder).

Let me know when you’re coming and if I’m available I’ll dive with you. I have the season pass for the boats this year. I’ll be hitting the Lake Huron ones, too.

Ask if you have any additional questions.

The book you want is The Great Lakes Diving Guide by Cris Kohl. 600 plus pages of wreck goodness. No pretty fishies and coral here! Wrecks R Us! :D

@Marie13 you are a cool girl... I grew up on Lake Ontario and sailed it but never went diving there.

Sorry if I should have found this already, but where do I start reading if I want to begin the process of planning a wreck diving trip to the Great Lakes? I have about 80 dives, many in quarries, and a wreck, nitrox, and drysuit card, but honestly, very little wreck experience. I want to ease into it. Not eager to penetrate wrecks or do anything risky, just want to try something different from the same-old Caribbean sites.

Thanks in advance.

Straits of Mackinac and Thunder Bay are also worth diving.

Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve

Diver & Area Info | Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve

Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater

How long will the dive portion of the trip be?

2 - 3 days in the Straits and 2 - 3 days diving Thunder Bay would be my preference

Marie, is there a preferred season for visibility?

Marie, is there a preferred season for visibility?

Great Lakes wreck season is short, not because of visibility but because of topside conditions and water temps. First charters start running in April but that's on the early side and they are often blown out. Typical season is May-Sep with the best conditions in Jun-Aug. Oct the boats still run but conditions are often dicy. The charter boats are pulled in Nov.

I bet that is true unless you are Canadian: the things I have seen Canadians do involving ice... of course they usually also involved beer, and that's not OK with scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom