want to learn diving but first need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello All. I have always been wanting to learn how to scuba dive but a few yrs ago that was put on hold because of a pace maker implant. In the up coming yr I may have to opportunity to learn how. I have not been able to find any info on if the pacemaker I have will allow me first or if it can what is the depths i will be able to go down to. I have a Boston scientific Vitalio K274/409284. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

with a pacemaker you will probably need a doctor to sign off on you being in "diving fit condition" before you can take the class.

Hello All. I have always been wanting to learn how to scuba dive but a few yrs ago that was put on hold because of a pace maker implant. In the up coming yr I may have to opportunity to learn how. I have not been able to find any info on if the pacemaker I have will allow me first or if it can what is the depths i will be able to go down to. I have a Boston scientific Vitalio K274/409284. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the document you are looking for: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3IHh51BnyNtlBy-v65BB-u&cshid=1548116751064

Pressure tested to 5atm. That's the equivalent of ~130ft depth, potentially suitable for recreational diving.

You'll need medical clearance. Preferably from your cardiologist who knows your file.

All the best,
Cameron

I would certainly say that, as long as you have no outstanding medical issues, that it should be possible to go diving.

As @northernone says, you will probably need to be signed off by your cardiologist though and you might have a depth limit (but the best things are normally nearer the surface anyway!).

You might also want to contact Divers Alert Network (DAN). Their medical staff can make recommendations and suggest when certain medical conditions are not compatible with diving.

+1-919-684-2948

I had to get a medical sign off, just asked my Dr when I had an app with him.

With a pacemaker you're just dealing with electrical impulses, as long as your heart is otherwise ok, a little extra pressure is likely ok. But you might want to limit your depth. I have 1 guy in my club that limits I think to 40 feet. One insanely popular shore dive here maxes at 25 feet, that's at high tide. And people come from all over to dive it. Theres a lot to see without going too deep.

you will def need your physician to sign off on this. as suggested above.....call DAN.....and you should make sure whoever you ask to sign off on this should be the doctor most familiar with your medical history.
pls update this post when you have your answer. i am very curious how this plays out.

my other suggestion is that if you do get clearance to dive, pls make sure you limit your depths and always inform who you are diving with about your condition. it would not be fair to them if you did not disclose this. it also may come in handy if for some reason you needed medical assistance at some point.

The above is correct. Nobody here is going to sign you off over the internet. You will have to visit your doctor and get clearance. But all points that this is an activity that is acceptable for your condition.

Back
Top Bottom