Want too Dive the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Roche..
I heard that they had shut down Isle Royal for scuba diving for awhile. Is that not the case. Would be interested to know if what I heard is false. Also when do you do liveaboards up that way? Jeff Greatlakes diver

One of the local dive shops organizes quite a few dives in the Great Lakes - about eight or nine dives per month during June, July, Aug, Sept and the first week in Oct. Places like Lexington, Sanilac, Tobermory, Alpena, Harbour Beach, Mackinac, Munising, and Grindstone. The prices are good, too -- most $70, a couple are $110.

They are 'Sea The World' and can be reached at 248.478.6400. They are located in Farmington Hills at Middlebelt and 10 Mile Road.

I'm just getting into diving, so I have not done any with them personally.

I've been to several of the preserves, but my favorite is the Straits of Mackinaw. Here's a web site full of stuff to read.

http://www.execpc.com/~bbaillod/links.html

Go ahead and ask away if you have any questions about the northern Great Lakes, I'd be glad to help ya out.

Mike

I'm with Lost Yooper on this one. The Straits of Mackinaw (located where Michigan's Lower Peninsula meets the Upper Peninsula) have great wrecks, a lot of variety, shore dives for the evening/night, and great topside attractions.

A close runner up would be Tobermory, Ontario at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula in Lake Huron. The most important part is determining which wrecks your boat captain/divemaster is considering. Many shallow wrecks and some deeper ones are just piles of boards.

For deep/tech diving, consider Whitefish in Lake Superior or Port Sanilac/Lexington in Lake Huron.

If you are really adverterous, Isle Royale in Lake Superior has the best all around wrecks at a variety of depths. But this trip requires more time and commitment than most divers can offer. While not diving, it's just you and a lot of pristine wilderness.

Back
Top Bottom