Wanted: Information on Grenada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have an opportunity to visit Grenada and to stay at the Coyaba Beach Resort on Grand Anse Beach. Does anyone have any experience with this resort? The onsite dive operator is Eco Dive & Trek, has anyone used them?

Alternatively, I could stay at Coyaba but use either Aquanauts or Dive Grenada. There's more information available regarding these operators. I would love to hear your experience regarding these operators as well as the accommodations you used.

Thanks in advance

Dive Grenada has had some positive reviews on Scubaboard:
Grenada diving?
Grenada Report

I dove with Native Spirit in 2013 and had good experiences with them. We were there in August though, so it was very quiet and we effectively had privately guided dives each day since we were the only divers with them that week.

Coyaba is definitely one of the nicer resorts along Grand Anse. We have not stayed there (have stayed at the Radisson and Blue Horizons resorts, and made extensive use of facilities at Spice Island as well), but have walked the grounds and were impressed with what we have seen on our visits to Grenada. I would definitely consider staying at Coyaba, and would also revisit any of the resorts that we have stayed at in the past.

We enjoyed pretty much all of our diving. If you get the chance, try and get "around the point" of the airport to some of the southern sites. This is where the larger pelagics will be. Mostly smaller fish off Grand Anse.

The sculpture garden is a very common site, but was underwhelming. If you have to dive it, I strongly recommend reading a bit about the sculptures first (Underwater Sculpture Park | Scuba Diving | Explore). Without at least a bit of understanding of what you are looking at, it gets creepy fairly quickly.

If you go, do take the opportunity to explore the island a bit. The rainforests and waterfalls are stunning. If you get the chance to visit Carriacou, please do. I did not dive there, but understand the diving there is fantastic. The island itself is delightful and so laid back makes the rest of the Caribbean seem somewhat "hustle and bustle"!

Finally a couple of bits of advice. First-- avoid going into St Georges if there are cruise ships in port. The town quickly becomes a zoo. You should be able to see if are any from the resort. If you see any-- go diving instead of exploring. Finally, the island still shows considerable damage from Hurricane Ivan in 2004. On our first visit in 1996, the Carenage in St Georges was a delightful and bustling area. Today (due partly to the moving of the cruise ship terminal, but also the hurricane), it is gritty and industrial.

You will be happy with Aquanauts. They are tech and rebreather friendly, will let you dive the Bianca C as a recreational diver, they do all of the easy wrecks every week, and the harder ones on request. Tell Peter that I let you dive solo on the Spree and he may let you do so. Their dives are loosely guided, that is, you can stay with the guide or tell the guide what you're doing and that's OK.

When Mel and I were there (we go relatively often) we go with the tech group and dive recreationally, that is, we don't necessarily do the Bianca C any more, as a 20 minute 130 foot dive is not what I'm into, I'd rather do an hour and a half reef dive, so the crew lets me drag my own SMB and they put me on a reef and I do my thing. I am there with a buddy, though. I wouldn't expect that kind of latitude on your first trip.

Like Wookie, we enjoyed our time with Aquanauts immensely. In fact, we're going back this spring.

We can't compare them to others since we have not dived with anyone else on Grenada.

Thanks @Wookie

You know me and what I'm looking for, the information you provided is very useful, thanks.

Happy holidays to you and Mel, look forward to updates on the new boat.

Very best and good diving, Craig

Thanks @Wookie

You know me and what I'm looking for, the information you provided is very useful, thanks.

Happy holidays to you and Mel, look forward to updates on the new boat.

Very best and good diving, Craig
I would be more than happy to make an introduction if you believe it will be helpful.

Thanks Frank, I'll let you know, the trip is not certain yet

When are you planning on going? I will probably be going in May and looks like Aquanauts would be a good choice. The resort we are planning on staying at, True Blue Bay, also arranges their trips with Aquanauts coincidentally. :)

When are you planning on going? I will probably be going in May and looks like Aquanauts would be a good choice. The resort we are planning on staying at, True Blue Bay, also arranges their trips with Aquanauts coincidentally. :)
Amazing that Aquanauts is on True Blue Bay's property. I love the resort. What rooms are you in?

Unfortunately, my upcoming trip to Grenada was cancelled. True Blue Bay and Aquanauts are highest on my list for a future visit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom