Wanted: Qt Programmers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tel-scuba

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't found any reasonably good dive logs that run under Linux, so I wrote my own. I'm more than happy to share it with anyone who likes, but it's not yet entirely finished (although it's quite functional). I've written it using Trolltech's Qt toolkit (version 3.3.3) with the Qwt widget set built in. It compiles nicely under GCC 3.3 and 3.4 on at least three different machines, running Debian, Gentoo, and Mandrake.

Currently, the executable is bloated because I still have all the debugging symbols compiled in (that shouldn't be a problem for those that know how to use Qt), but I'll remove all this extra code in the release version.

I have NO help files attached, so you should be pretty adept at using the computer and at programming in order to use it effectively and add/modify code. I'd encourage you to play with all its features to get a feel of the full power of what it can do.

This log features:
- a very fast set of views and filters, the power of which is obvious when you start using them
- a set of pre-defined forms for data entry and editing
- ability to add unlimited custom forms if you don't like the pre-defined ones
- ability to add an unlimited variables (strings, numbers, boolean, lists)
- custom headers for each view/filter
- ability to import data directly from the Suunto Dive Manager
- statistics query of your data
- import photos in .PNG, .XPM, .XBM, .BMP formats

What I need:
- Bug-finding (and I'm sure there are lots of them)
- Suggestions for new capabilities to add
- Beautification of the interface (although it looks pretty cool when running under KDE)
- More icons
- Ability to import directly off of dive computers
- A general import wizard for other dive log formats
- Ability to use .TIF and .JPG files (I think this is a limitation of Qt)
- On-line help
- Some sort of forum on which to freely post the files

The source isn't well-documented yet (I'm working on it), and I'm sure that there are more efficient ways to manage some of the code. Any help in these regards would be appreciated.

This is still beta-software, so don't complain to me if it eats your data. I'm working on it.

If anyone wants a copy of the source to compile or otherwise play with, please PM me, and I'll be happy to send you a gzipped tarball (although it may take a while for me to get to my messages).

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom