Wanted: Strong screwdriver bit set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know where I can find a screwdriver "bit set" that is made from good strong tool steel? I'm currently using the one below. Like the selection of bits, but the metal is super weak. I've had bits strip out, some even flat out break.

Anyone know where I can find one of these made of a strong material like tool steel or something similar? At this point I'd be glad to spend some actual money on a nice set.

https://smile.amazon.com/TEKTON-2841-Screwdriver-Electronic-135-Piece/dp/B008HYVG6I/

817dfOPtmCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a Gearwrench ratcheting set that I love. I bought it over 4 years ago and the only bit I've had to replace is due to me misplacing one. The bits are made out of S2 tool steel.

I have the 40 piece set that has 3 handles which is around $48 on amazon but there is also a 39 piece set that only has one screwdriver handle and is only $32.
I haven't found the bits for sale by themselves

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-8940-Piece-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B000HBAHNC

I'd have a look at something from Wera or Facom.

They are expensive, but I've yet to brake a single bit- they are quite frequently used for other stuff than their purpose.

I usually buy these bits from Beta for my powerful electric impact driver:
Screwdrivers bit, Screwdriver bit holders - Beta Tools
The original Makita bits coming with the electric tool were also quite good, but a little more fragile than the ones from Beta.

What does this mean?

Have you used them? If so, are they super strong and relevant to the OP's question?
Snap-on is the Rolex of US-made tools. Extremely high quality, but you pay for every bit of that quality and an extra premium for the name.

I couldn't afford their wrenches when I was younger, so I settled for Craftsman (which were still US made and very good quality). But I did pay up for a ratcheting screwdriver. It's been 30 years and it's still a joy to use.

I thought about snap-on. I'm a little leery after seeing some teardowns of their lithium power tools and finding them unimpressive. I think I might give their bit set a try. Several of the bit sets suggested here aren't available to US buyers (wera, facom).

Good tools are worth the investment, if they REALLY are good tools. Snap-on does make some great tools, but they make others that are questionable now too... Which isn't a big deal if the snap-on guy comes by your shop every day for easy warranty replacement, but I am a home gamer.

Edit: I almost bought the snap-on bits before noticing a little icon that says they aren't suitable for impact drivers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom