Warm Clothes under the Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5-finger or 3-finger? I wouldn't use 5-finger wetgloves in 8C water. For me, that temperature calls for either 3-finger mitts, preferably thicker than 5mm, or drygloves.

Before I switched to drygloves I used Mares Trilastic 6.5mm 3-fingers which are decently warm and surprisingly flexible, but I'm not sure they are available where you live. Waterproof makes some of the best hoods ordinary money can buy, and I've heard that quite a few are really happy with their wetgloves as well. Products - Waterproof

I used 5 finger 4th element wet suit gloves, which were what was recommended to me.

I have used the 7mm wetgloves from 4th Element in 4 degrees water. They were ok but they are so thick you can barely feel a thing when manipulating equipment

+1 for Waterproof G1 5mm gloves. Fine for 60min at 7°c and plenty of dexterity.

I have used the 7mm wetgloves from 4th Element in 4 degrees water. They were ok but they are so thick you can barely feel a thing when manipulating equipment

That was another issue that cropped up actually, having never used gloves as thick as 5mm before, I found it difficult to manipulate any equipment. The vast majority of the time, I couldn't tell what I was holding unless I was also looking at it.

This is why I really like the Mares Trilastic three-fingers. While I haven't tried any of Waterproof's wetgloves, I have yet to handle softer and more supple wetgloves than the Mares. The neoprene is very soft and elastic, and the no-slip pattern on the inside is thin and soft as well.

They don't wear very well, though. I had less than 50 dives on mine before it was time to dig out the tube of Aquasure...

That was another issue that cropped up actually, having never used gloves as thick as 5mm before, I found it difficult to manipulate any equipment. The vast majority of the time, I couldn't tell what I was holding unless I was also looking at it.
It's a matter of training and experience. Dive enough with thick wetgloves, and you'll find ways around the lost sensitivity. Basically, you learn to operate by sight rather than feel.

And I do believe that going from 5- to 3-fingers will improve the situation, even if you stay with the same glove thickness. There's a reason cold weather folks tend to prefer mittens over gloves if it's really cold outside.

I prefer drygloves with a silk weight liner as base, and a felt liner. You definitely lose dexterity and any fine tactile sense, especially if you get any air ballooning in the gloves. But I've dived in 2C water (and -20C surface conditions) and have not lost feeling from the cold. And, speaking from experience, frostbite ducks.

As for not being able to feel equipment, this is where a consistent gear build, thoughtful gear selection and practice accessing your gear pay off.

This is why I really like the Mares Trilastic three-fingers. While I haven't tried any of Waterproof's wetgloves, I have yet to handle softer and more supple wetgloves than the Mares. The neoprene is very soft and elastic, and the no-slip pattern on the inside is thin and soft as well.

They don't wear very well, though. I had less than 50 dives on mine before it was time to dig out the tube of Aquasure...

It's a matter of training and experience. Dive enough with thick wetgloves, and you'll find ways around the lost sensitivity. Basically, you learn to operate by sight rather than feel.

And I do believe that going from 5- to 3-fingers will improve the situation, even if you stay with the same glove thickness. There's a reason cold weather folks tend to prefer mittens over gloves if it's really cold outside.
If that helps, SSI wreck class mentions that you can use a bit of an adhesive like Aquaseal to extend the gloves life

SSI wreck class mentions that you can use a bit of an adhesive like Aquaseal to extend the gloves life
I always have a tube of Aquaseal (I mis-rememberd the name, but I believe it was marketed as "Aquasure" on this side of the pond when I first became aware of the product) in my freezer. It keeps fresh for longer that way, and it only takes some 20 minutes in a cup of warm water to thaw it up before using it.

It's invaluable for fixing any type of hole or puncture in trilam, neoprene or rubber, but don't use it to glue drysuit seals. You won't be able to get them off again.

Curing time is 24h in room temperature, but you can apply an accelerator (Cotol-240) if you need it to cure faster.

I always have a tube of Aquaseal in my freezer (it keeps fresh for longer that way, and it only takes some 20 minutes in a cup of warm water to thaw it up before using it). It's invaluable for fixing any type of hole or puncture in trilam, neoprene or rubber, but don't use it to glue drysuit seals. You won't be able to get them off again.

Curing time is 24h in room temperature, but you can apply an accelerator (Cotol-240) if you need it to cure faster.
So in the SSI wreck class material they say that if you put a tiny bit of Aquaseal on the fingertips prior to the dive, you’ll extend the gloves life.

I guess they mean that wrecks will cut through your gloves if you have to touch the metal bits in case you get stuck ? For example if you have to touch the sides of a doorway ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom