warm water drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK. I need a new wetsuit, but my LDS has a new Northern Cordura "bag" drysuit for not much more. It has latex seals. Can I use it without a hood or will it leak like a sieve.

Last edited:
As long as the seals are good that won't be an issue. Make sure you have a good fit.

Sent from my DROID X2

Hoods (other than dry hoods, with which I have no experience) do not add anything to the dryness of dry suits. And as has already been said, a properly fitted neck seal, latex or neoprene, will not leak very much, if at all, and usually only if you are really doing some stuff that requires you move your head around a lot.

FWIW I'll dive a beanie during the summer.

Sent from my DROID X2

I actually find that my hood does improve the water tightness of my neck seal as it slips in between the two pieces of neoprene and fits together perfectly. Without the hood on, I'll occasionally get a tiny bit of water in the neck if I move my head around too much, but never had a drop with the hood.

That said, if it's warm enough I'll still go hoodless and try to remember to not try to twist my head around.

Thanks for the replys so far. My Bare CD4 Pro compressed neoprene suit has a neoprene neck seal and I have to wear a hood with it or it leaks pretty good, although it is tired. I thought I would get a lot more use out of the drysuit. I could use it for the cenotes down south, warmer water up here and a back up for my Bare.

It's sometimes possible to get somebody to snug up a neoprene neck seal -- you wedge a bit of material out of it, and reglue it. I haven't done it, but I know folks who have.

I love diving dry in the cenotes.

Snuging up a neoprene neck seal is eay, so is replacing it with a latex one.

Back
Top Bottom