Warning about Nasal Rinses!! Learn from my mistake.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears they used the the InstaTrak Surgical Navigation System by GE. They actually had a true 3D model of my head on the screen a splitting image of me.

Another Caution about Nasal Rinses: If ones sinuses are not draining properly, one could end up with stagnant pools of the nasal wash in the sinus cavities thus adding to the infection. Nasal rinses may be OK if ones sinuses are normal and can benefit from a washing. But if the sinuses are not normal and are obstructed, that obstruction may need dealing with before going all out with nasal washes. A CT Scan can probably make that decision. We have to be careful assuming what works well with one person works well with everyone.

One theory on the cause of polyps: if your sinuses get inflammed the tissues of the sinuses become more porous or absorbent to fluids. If you run water through your sinuses while they are inflamed, the water can be absorbed into the linings. Once this water is absorbed, gravity may cause the water to pull down into the tissues forming water sacks or polyps.

A lot of us take our sinuses for granted and are not careful on protecting them from harmful elements. From now on, I may keep masks handy these days in case I perform a task that will cause elements to get in the sinuses. I used to be a metal tumbler as a kid and would have black sinuses at the end of the work day.

Going back to the LP. For 2 weeks I have been told not to blow my nose or sneeze through it. And this is to avoid back pressure into the ethmoid space that could rupture the LP and force air out through the orbits and eyes.

The packing came out easy Thursday and this Friday I get the septoplasty splints removed and more cleaning done.

Had a close call yesterday as a soft clot the size of my fist was passed. I called the doctor but he said unless there is constant bleeding, not to worry. I slept propped up last night to make sure that doesn't happen again and may attempt a hike today.

Last edited:
Finally got the splint removed and my first official cleaning. The ENT really probed my sinuses and it was somewhat painfull with lots of wierd sensations. (I;d hate to be captured by aliens). A lot of junk was removed. He said the sinuses looked real good and started me on nasl rinses now.

He did confirm you have to be carefull using sinus rinses on cloggged sinuses as you can get pools of stagnant water in your sinuses if they can not drain properly and also said you have more danger of ear damage also.

Talk to an ENT before doing sinus rinses is my suggestion. Don't assume a nasal wash is going to work because it worked for someone else. Taht someone is not you and there are so many factors and variables in play to determine the outcome of a nasal rinse.

I asked him about the LP and did the surgery compromise it to a point future diving would be dangerous. He was quite baffled that I even asked the question and doesn't feel anything was done to the LP to compromise it and feels I should not have serious sinus squeezes to begin with to make diving a concern.

He said the LP is a paper thin bone to begin with and one should never force a clearing that puts pressure on it.

I take this as a OK to dive once the sinus cavities have healed fully.

I can breath nicely now and the septum seems to have healed nicely.

Next visit in 2 weeks for a folow up. I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited:
Seriously, while home remedies can work, you can also mess yourself up big-time if you get it a little wrong. Hang out in an ER one night and see.

A GOOD neti pot solution should be the right temperature, the right salt level, and the right pH. Some people make them too salty (hypertonic) to dry out their nasal passages, and while it temporarily works, it can also irritate the lining and cause inflammation and mucus production. It's like folks that use Afrin too much, and get rebound.

If you're going to do the nasal lavage thing, don't use anything that doesn't match your body's chemistry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom