Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an alternative to reporting Fred to the cops, is there some sort of mental health agency in the area that he could be reported to? It sounds like Fred needs help.

gotta love the way this thread keeps coming up and up, i would have thought someone would have "convinced" Fred to give up his evil ways long ago

mossym:
gotta love the way this thread keeps coming up and up, i would have thought someone would have "convinced" Fred to give up his evil ways long ago

I think it is a lot like dealing with Spammers. There is no penalty (or very few) for the behavior. It doesn't matter how many get annoyed, if even one out of many falls victim, then the spammer (or Fred) is encouraged to continue.

Not supporting Fred or Spammers, not trying to justify either, simply explaining my thoughts. Since Fred (like most spammers) has never been made to suffer any consequences, he has little motivation to cease.

This entire thread still acts as a good warning for people to be aware. For that reason, resurrecting this thread is not a bad thing. Continue to spread the word.

Wristshot

I plan to do some Monterey diving and would like this thread to pop up often as a reminder.
I have read this thread in the past and have totally forgotten about it too.

This thread is a good warning, but at some point, I think every diver needs to realize that finding a dive buddy is a lot more than just finding someone with a tank of air and a willingness to go out. Just as you wouldn't date someone with any sort of prior knowledge of the person (or at least I wouldnt) lets make sure we know who were diving with. Hell, there are even people I do know - and have dove with many times - who I'm hesitant to go in the water with.
And if we all take a few more precautions, I think a guy like Fred (who approached me during my AOW class awhile back) will easily be filtered out.

This is insane!

If the police won't act then you people need to get organized and take matters into your own hands.

I'll tell you something. If psycho boy tried turning off my air under water we'd find out in a big hurry how far a mask strap can stretch before it breaks.

Get organized and bully him the hell out of there before he does something that makes you wish you had. When this guy finally blows a gasket he's going to drown someone (or worse). Make sure from today on that every time he parks his Mazda there that he goes home needing expensive repairs.

And post a damned picture.

Sheesh.

R..

Diver0001:
This is insane!
As is Fred. Spend 2 seconds talking to the guy and you'll realize it's him without need for a picture. He hasn't the brains of an ice cube.

Know your buddy. I've had to dump a few buddies myself...good friends...people I trust with my life above water, not below.

No doubt Fred has issues. I wouldn't be surprised if he's involved in the mental health system. He's been behaving himself so give the guy a break. Don't go diving with him. And yes, if he is seen breaking the law (yeah, turning off someone's air could be considered assault, as could groping a female diver) call the police. They'll take him to the appropriate place.

Kind of gives me the creeps. We were in Monterey a couple of years ago... I wasn't planning on diving that day, but my dad and buddy were in the water, and I was shifting gear, etc... and along comes Fred. He made me really nervous... he was just weird, and I told him that I wasn't diving, etc.... and finally he left, but hey, I got the card! What a whacko... I never thought that this many people would have stories about him... this is the kind of stuff that is so helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom