Was A US Divers Tank From '86, Made By Luxfer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rev. Blade

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A buddy has a US Divers aluminum 80 that he'd like to sell to me for $35. It was last hydro tested about 5 years ago, and first hydro tested in '86. I was wondering if this might be one of the tanks made of the undesirable aluminum. Does anyone know if Luxfer was the manufacturer of US Divers tanks in the 80's?

Look at the D.O.T. number if it is the 6115 alloy it will be marked as follows.

D.O.T. SP6498-3000 or D.O.T. E6498-3000

I still have about ten of them still in service without the cracking problem. I have turned in about 15 that have cracked.

Hope that helps.

Hallmac

YES, LUXFER was the Manufacturer of USD cylinders ....

they used the aluminum alloy 6351, which is susceptible to sustained load cracking. If you buy this cylinder, be prepared to send it back when it fails visual in a few years, if not the next visual. LUXFER is doing a new trade in program where you can get a $50 coupon towards the purchase of a new cylinder, but that ends very soon. Anyways, good luck. My recommendation is to stay away from old aluminum cylinders, and go buy yourself a new one made out of the 6061 alloy ... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom