Was this comment right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was an SDI/TDI instructor and I was never told to cut corners. The problem with in-house instructor certification is that you cannot always control what an IT believes and says based upon his or her experience. The benefit of in-house certification is that an IT may have personal standards far beyond what would be taught in an IDC/IE format like PADI. I was given and heard a lot of good and a lot of bad advice about teaching as I rose through the leadership ranks. We sometimes give too much credit to the instructors and trainers and not enough credit to the students and candidates to filter information. Regarding what the OP heard, a crap instructor would hear that he could cut corners. A strict instructor would file such advice as total BS. An instructor trying to find grains of wisdom in any advice would realize that sometimes you need to devote far more time to a weaker student when you know a stronger student has already proven himself capable throughout the pool sessions and performs as expected in open water. Eventually one's reputation comes to light. We don't always express what we mean in the moment. Sometimes we are overheard saying something that we clarify with a student later when we rethink how we put it. But, it is true that many instructors learn to deliver the minimum, but then, you get what you pay for and diving certifications are often a loss leader for gear sales.

What agency certifies divers who have only cleared their masks one time while kneeling? This is the SDI forum--is that an SDI policy?

The trainers and trainee were under SDI which was precisely why I asked here. I started off with PADI and then got to know this dive shop owner who's under SDI so my professional qualifications will probably be SDI too.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 09:46 AM ----------

... sometimes you need to devote far more time to a weaker student when you know a stronger student has already proven himself capable throughout the pool sessions and performs as expected in open water. ...

I have to apologize for not telling the story in 101% detail because the reason why it got me wondering was because the trainer who was posing as the student had intentionally fumbled a little during some of the exercises which she was asked to perform but the overseeing trainer felt that those were good enough and wanted the instructor trainee to move on. That was why he commented that time was money.

How long does it take to perform 1 or 2 or even 3 exercises in the Open Water course if you really cared as an instructor? Less than a minute for the basic ones and perhaps 2 to 3 minutes for the advanced ones.

And just in case I come across sounding like a pompous nitpicker, I am indeed that because I find it very heartbreaking and worrying to see people being certified when they're obviously incapable of diving independently (not to be equated with diving solo) and will always be a liability to others and themselves. And most importantly, these people will be the bane of any marine ecosystem as they crush, crash, smash, kick, grab, pull, etc. at corals and other live marine organisms.

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."

-- Lone Survivor (film)

The trainers and trainee were under SDI which was precisely why I asked here. I started off with PADI and then got to know this dive shop owner who's under SDI so my professional qualifications will probably be SDI too..

You did not answer my question. You said:
Quote Originally Posted by Progen View Post
That's was what I had in mind plus (I sense a lot of flames coming my way) the way I look at it, the reason why there are hundreds of thousands of inept divers worldwide is because they thought that being able to perform a skill once, kneeling down, just after a demonstration and which they were prepared for, would mean that they were ready to go anywhere in the world and not need to worry about anything.
I asked you to identify the agencies that are certifying hundreds of thousands of inept divers worldwide while only requiring them to perform a skill (like mask clearing) once kneeling down. Which ones teach them students that after doing skills kneeling down in the pool "they can go anywhere in the world and not need to worry about anything"?

I figure that if you can make specific accusations like this, they must be grounded in some kind of fact. I'm just asking you to identify the specific facts upon which you are basing your accusations.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 11:22 AM ----------

I have been thinking about this thread a bit, and I thought I would add information related to the issue of having students repeat skills after competence and the matter of time. I have two points to make.

Remember that we are not talking in this thread about rushing students through the class if they have not shown ability. If there is any question about a student's competence in performing a skill, it should be repeated until the student appears to be competent. The OP talked about a situation in which a person learning to be an instructor was cautioned against asking a student to "repeat skills which she seemed to be able to demonstrate reasonably well," and the reason had to do with teaching larger classes.

How much money is that time?
The reason had to do with the fact that "time is money." If you are talking about clearing a mask, it isn't a lot of extra time, but many of the skills take much, much longer. The alternate air swim, for example, take a couple of minutes per student. Removing and replacing the scuba unit takes quite some time as well. The RSTC minimum standards that SDI has pledged to follow contain 20 such skills, and I would take a wild guess that asking ONE student to repeat each skill after they have completed it will add at least a half hour per student to the course, probably more.

If you are talking about 1 or 2 students, that is not a big deal, and it becomes a good incentive to pay the extra money for private instruction. On the other hand, if you have a class of 8 students, that comes to at least 4 hours. It also means in all practical terms, another day at the pool. A four hour pool session is pretty tiring for students, and you are asking a lot to add that time to existing schedules.

So what does that mean in terms of cost? In our area, the only pools you can rent are at the local recreation center. The one we use charges us $24 per hour per lane. For a class of 8, we would use 4 lanes. So that's 4 hours times 4 lanes times $24 = $384 additional dollars, all for the purpose of giving students extra practice on something they have already shown they can do well. That is just the pool cost. The instructor will also be working 4 extra hours, and we will always have a DM for a class that large. I suspect that they will want to be paid extra for that extra work. Remember that if you are renting pool time outside the shop, that means the two of them will need to come earlier to transfer all the equipment to the pool rental area, and they will have to stay late to bring it all back. There are different pay structures for this, but for the sake of argument, let's say you are paying them only roughly minimum wage. That's about another $100 for the class. If you are paying more than minimum wage, it will be more. If you are an independent, then you are paying yourself that money, or you are doing all of that for free.

So, to go back to the main argument, in which the instructor-to-be was told that if there is a large class it could add a lot of cost to the class, then we can see that the cost could be about $60 per student extra, just for the confined water portion of the class. For an 8 person class with pool sessions lasting about a weekend, that is close to $500 for the weekend. If you teach two such classes a month, that is a $12,000 hit on the bottom line, whether you are an independent or a shop owner.

How does that impact diver competence?
When you talk about all these incompetent divers around the world, are you talking about people who have trouble clearing their masks, recovering lost regulators, switching from snorkel to regulator, performing tired diver tows, relieving cramps, removing their weight belts on the surface, removing scuba units on the surface, doing deep water exits, disconnecting inflator hoses, swimming with a mask, etc.? I doubt it. When I think of poor divers I have seen on dive trips, I think of people with poor buoyancy control, improper weighting, and bad trim. I see people who do not feel confident swimming in control during the dive. Those are not the skills you are talking about when you have students repeat skills they have already mastered.

How do we teach that in the confined water sessions? By having them swim. IMO, the most valuable time spent in confined water is the time spent just swimming around next to your buddy, getting the feel of neutral buoyancy and trim, learning how to use breath to control changes in depth, practicing kicking technique, and just plain getting comfortable in the water. When students are free swimming, I have them give unexpected out of air signals to their buddies, so they can practice it in a more realistic setting. I have them ask each other for their air pressure as well. The more time I have students do this, the more competent and confident they are when the confined water class is over.

How much time do we spend on that? It depends. When I go to the pool with students, I have a certain number of hour scheduled. I get a certain number of lanes for a certain number of hours each day. I can't go in the water before that, and I can't stay a minute later than that. I watch the time carefully, and my students are climbing a ladder on the side of the pool for a deep water exit at the very last minute available to us each day. I milk every second out of the schedule. I accomplish that by adjusting the time I spend on free swimming, which depends upon how much time I spend on the required skills. The more time it takes me to complete those skills, the less time is left for free swimming. Every minute I spend having students repeat specific skills that they have already shown they can do well is a minute they are not able to work on buoyancy, trim, buddy skills, and overall comfort. Every minute spent having students repeat skills needlessly is a minute they don't get to practice those critical skills in a true swimming situation.

In other words, the more time you spend having students repeat skills needlessly, the less time you have to do the work that really makes a difference in diver competence.

Last edited:
John, I made such a broad statement because being in a rather popular diving associated location where we get divers from all over the world which also means from all of the major agencies, it was obvious that the problem of conveyor belt certification wasn't just by the local instructors alone plus a large number of the instructors here are foreigners too who'd been trained in their home countries which further reinforces my statement. Not that I'm saying that I'm a good diver but after reading heavily and watching lots of videos plus from all the useful knowledge which had been shared by experienced divers here, I have a rather good idea of what a competent diver should be like.

As for cost, the instructors here do not use swimming pools because suitable training sites in the sea are just 10 minutes away and even if they did, it's not charged by the hour. Also, any time restrictions on scuba usage in the few swimming pools which will allow that are either non-existent or more than enough for a class of 5 to 6 students. Considering how competitive it is over here to find students, chances of getting that number per group is very unlikely.

So now let's move on to my idea of diver competence. I'd say that a competent diver is one who has / can demonstrate :-

1. Confidence / comfort in the water
2. Reasonable control of direction / location in the water
3. Excecute skills confidently (Doesn't have to be perfect but it has to be with confidence and without prompting from buddy / instructor)
4. Responsible attitude towards the group / buddy (Have yet to see any instructors stress on the importance of buddy diving and how to be an asset and not a liability)
5. Concern for the marine environment

Ok, I just had to add in the last one because that's what the majority of my grouses are about. I'm not even a divemaster yet but I've grabbed divers before and pushed / lifted them away from reefs when I can no longer stand seeing them smash one after another without every fin stroke.

Perhaps I'd been misunderstood but I wasn't talking about making students repeat every skill so that they'll be 'perfect' upon open water certification but I really don't it's wrong to ask a student to repeat skills which he / she did not execute smoothly because just about no casual recreational diver practices whenever they have the chance to dive. Most prefer to boast about how many dives they'd done instead of how well they can control their buoyancy and what they understand about proper trim.

snip.... to ask a student to repeat skills which he / she did not execute smoothly because just about no casual recreational diver practices whenever they have the chance to dive. Most prefer to boast about how many dives they'd done instead of how well they can control their buoyancy and what they understand about proper trim.

Do you really think this? Maybe it's liveaboard vs. resort, but I see divers practice skills all the time. I know I do.

I'm not in a resort by the way. I'm over in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. The Borneo part of Malaysia. City area or what passes for a city over here. And I believe I'd watched my phrasing pretty carefully when I used the term 'casual recreational diver'. Casual as in someone who doesn't dive regularly or take diving as a serious sport in that regular practice is needed.

Ok, I just had to add in the last one because that's what the majority of my grouses are about. I'm not even a divemaster yet but I've grabbed divers before and pushed / lifted them away from reefs when I can no longer stand seeing them smash one after another without every fin stroke.

Just a bit of constructive criticism....find a way to stop them without actually putting hands on them.....a strong dive brief and maybe a reminder between dives....as a dive professional you open yourself up to a lot of problems when "touching" other divers.

Your DM and instructors class should cover this in more detail, but suffice it to say, its bad practice to physically touch others if your not in a direct teaching role..and even then, you need to be aware of where you grab and touch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom