Was your Vip Done correctly..

Was your VIP done correctly?

• Yes, all stickes including any wrap decals were removed

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • nope, the store just looked inside the tank and added a new decal.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • haven't had to VIP my tank this year..

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
According to an addendum posted to the 2002 DOt regualtions it seems that many LDS are not doing VIPs correctly..

49 CFR; Ch-1; Part 180; Subpart C; Section 180.205 (f); paragraph (2).

also a later paragraph also states for aluminuum cylinders testeing for SLC (sustained load cracking) must be done according to manufacturer's specifications..

That means all Catalina's should be eddy tested, for luxfers all older Al alloys must be tested..

The latest attendum states all attachments or coatinfs the prevent inspection of the cylinder MUST be removed..

By PSI inspector #10058, which would be me.

My poor steel doubles have to go in for their first hydro once I use them (filled them the day before the hydro expired :)).

I don't want to cut lose of my babys! :)

Roak

I just had my Tank Viz'd. My dive shop actually showed me the whole process.

They took apart the valve, and inspected all the parts and made sure the O-Rings were in good repair.

Took a flash light and looked inside for cracks and any fluids.

Sniffed the inside of the tank to check for possible contanimation.

Took a mirror out to check the threads from bottom to top. Apparently, the 1st signs of stress start to show up at the threads.

Took the Viz Plus (eddy current) and screwed into the tank and rotated it making sure the current was even. Continued the test up to the threads to show what a deviation in the current was.

Replaced the valve, tested it for easy of use.

Removed the old sticker, and placed a new one one.

Filled the tank and tested for leaks.

They were very through and allowed me to double check everything.

CobaltWave once bubbled...
I just had my Tank Viz'd. My dive shop actually showed me the whole process.

They took apart the valve, and inspected all the parts and made sure the O-Rings were in good repair.

Took a flash light and looked inside for cracks and any fluids.

Sniffed the inside of the tank to check for possible contanimation.

Took a mirror out to check the threads from bottom to top. Apparently, the 1st signs of stress start to show up at the threads.

Took the Viz Plus (eddy current) and screwed into the tank and rotated it making sure the current was even. Continued the test up to the threads to show what a deviation in the current was.

Replaced the valve, tested it for easy of use.

Removed the old sticker, and placed a new one one.

Filled the tank and tested for leaks.

They were very through and allowed me to double check everything.

he should have also taken a straight edge to check for dents or bulges, and if any other decals were present for example a nitrox cylinder wrap, it has to be removed..

roakey once bubbled...
By PSI inspector #10058, which would be me.

My poor steel doubles have to go in for their first hydro once I use them (filled them the day before the hydro expired :)).

I don't want to cut lose of my babys! :)

Roak

yeah, but as long as you fill it yourself (personal compressor), for personal non commercial use and you have no plans on crossing any state lines its not covered by DOT and you can continue filling it...

What kind of cylinder? If AL, what was the year of first hydro?

Roak

The tank is new hydro was this year. Since I bought this tank for use with Nitrox went went the extra mile.

He said the Viz plus wasn't actually necessary at this time, but not a bad idea. He also mentioned that some shops won't fill a tank that didn't have a Viz plus sticker on it.

padiscubapro once bubbled...
According to an addendum posted to the 2002 DOt regualtions it seems that many LDS are not doing VIPs correctly..

49 CFR; Ch-1; Part 180; Subpart C; Section 180.205 (f); paragraph (2).

also a later paragraph also states for aluminuum cylinders testeing for SLC (sustained load cracking) must be done according to manufacturer's specifications..

That means all Catalina's should be eddy tested, for luxfers all older Al alloys must be tested..

The latest attendum states all attachments or coatinfs the prevent inspection of the cylinder MUST be removed..

Since the DOT doesn't require an anual VIP why do they have a spec on it? Given that it doesn't have to be done at all, how can they say it's being done incorrectly? Sounds fishy to me.

The tank is new hydro was this year. Since I bought this tank for use with Nitrox went went the extra mile.

He said the Viz plus wasn't actually necessary at this time, but not a bad idea. He also mentioned that some shops won't fill a tank that didn't have a Viz plus sticker on it.
It a bit worse than "wasn't actually necessary..." An eddy current test can have false positives on a 6061 alloy cylinder, see:

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/faq/sustainedloadcracking.shtml

Towards the very bottom.

He's right, many shops won't fill an AL cylinder without an eddy test, which show you how screwed up the industry is. I've even heard of shops eddy testing steel cylinders!

At first blush the shop sounds like it knows what it's doing, stick with 'em!

Roak

Yep, this shop seems to be one the ball. What I really like is that they try and avoid "hot fills" of tanks. They'll do it but pefer not to.

The slower the fill the better, as far as I am concerned. It puts less stress on the valve threads and less stress on the metal preventing its expansion and contraction from the heat. With hot fills, over time I imagine, would greatly reduce the life of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom