Washing neoprene 5mm semi-dry wetsuit in washing-machine.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the amount of salt that comes out of a wetsuit when hand washed, I would be a bit worried about what the salty waterwas doing to the pump in the washing machine.

I'd only worry about that if washing multiples of suits on multiples of days

My Lycra dive skins go in the washing machine. My neoprene suits go in the shower. If they get funky, a little Sink The Stink gets added to the program. I've been doing it this way since the 1980's I haven't tried any other method.

I wash my 5mm semi-dry in my top loader washing machine on gentle (no central agitator) and have done so for almost 100 dives in it now. No adverse affects. I only add a little wetsuit wash. My washing machine is holding up ok too. The spin cycle gets a lot of the water out so it dries quickly.

Honestly your wetsuit gets more beaten up with you getting in and out of it than it would being tumbled around a machine. I can imagine an agitator might not be friendly, but my washing machine has a clear lid and whenever I’ve peeked in to see how it’s going it’s doing just fine.

Each to their own, but I’m all for it.

I would never wash my wetsuit is a washing machine. The manufacturer warns against it and there's no need. I just rinse my wetsuit with my other gear in plain water and it's enough. Maybe if I were to buy a used wetsuit I'd use some shampoo the first time for psychological reasons but otherwise plain water does the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom