Washington doctor and son drown - Cabo, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Nothing on usual news sites except that one has the same video, easier seen on youtube. It sounds like a family of six went together on an advanced dive. The Dr. Thomas Dyehouse mentioned in the video seems to be from Vancouver Washington.

My understanding is that they were all certified. Gordo Banks is an advanced dive.

I am not able to stream currently so cannot tell whether this information is already covered in the link DandyDon posted but there is an article on the accident here Vancouver doctor, son die on scuba diving tour in Mexico. There were also 2 earlier brief articles in Spanish posted on a Baja news site.

I'm going to guess this is about all the information we're going to hear about this one.

Are police reports on such incidents made public in Mexico? I was told the recovery divers had to give a report to the police.

To put the dive site in perspective, this description of Gordo Banks is from the website of a local dive op:

"Gordo Banks is located 8-10 miles off-shore from San Jose del Cabo. There are different seamounts, while the top of one is approximately 120 feet, the other is at 180 feet.

The dive conditions at Gordo Banks can be quite challenging, due to the depth, strong currents, visibility and heavy seas. Therefore we require all divers (with less than 100 logged dives) to do a local 2 tank dive in the Cabo San Lucas marine park or at the Corridor prior to diving at Gordo Banks."

The emphasis was added by me. Seems like the kind of place where adverse factors can combine quickly.

Back
Top Bottom