Wasting money? Seafrogs A6xxx + Z330s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyndle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I've been scratching my head over the last few days to think about what gear to get for maximum quality and flexibility. I already have a sony A6500 with many lenses, among which the 16-50 and the 10-18mm. And I have a tray and the arms/clamps (I used to have 2 Sea&sea strobes, the old meikon housing, a meikon wet dome and an Inon UCL 165).

I'm thinking of buying the following:
Seafrogs salted housing with short macro port + 8 inch dome : 560 eur
2*Z330 + mount + fiber optic cable : 1500 eur
A diopter (thinking of getting a +15?) for 150 eur (could be second hand)

The idea is to take the dry dome + 10-18 for dives where I know there will be big stuff (or wrecks), the dry dome + 16-50 where there's a doubt, and the flat port with 16-50 and my macro diopter for muck diving/black water.

Am I doing something stupid? Should I get a light on top of that ? (I remember being fine with the focus lights from my strobes on night dives).

There's a part of me that wants to just use a gopro 9 (I can take my brother's for free) with a 15€ macro lens and two 3200 lumens lights for 400€ total, so I can travel really light, and stop spending money on crap I don't need :D Are gopro .raw files underwater much better now? I've attached some pictures from my A6500, can I get any close to that with a gopro? How many lumens would I need to get wide shots properly lit up?

DSC00425-Edit.jpg DSC01545-Edit.jpg DSC03057.jpg DSC03123.jpg DSC03173-Edit.jpg DSC03567-Edit.jpg

Or should I just build a macro setup with my A6500 (no dome, so saves 200 eur, and spend 1000€ on lights), and use the gopro for wide?

I'm so confused at everything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom