Watch out my brothers. This one is bad - typhoon Haiyan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
wp201331.gif

Aw, bugger. I'm heading for Malapascua soon. I hope they can batten down the hatches and hold on tight.

I read a report that said it reached Cat 5 (super typhoon) already. It's predicted to be the biggest storm on the planet this year.

Ferries from Luzon-Batangas are already closed down in anticipation. Main strike is across the central islands - the size and track is scarily simular to the big typhoon that hit in 1991 and devastated central Cebu..

You guys are in our thoughts here. I will be watching this thread and hoping friends in the central Visayas will be ok (and that includes you guys, Matt and the Evolution crew).

Philippines can't get a break . . . Super-Typhoon Bopha last year and now this one!
:shakehead:

Been watching this for days and the centre track hasnt budged at all - looks like a direct hit for here (boracay). We're lucky being it'll hit the eastern visayas and weaken first but the GFS model is still showing sustained winds of 90+kts and wave heights of 8m for tomorrow. Spent all day filling sand bags, moving equipment and generally tying stuff down. STILL had someone ask is if there was any chance of diving tomorrow....

Nobody can get on or off the island as the coastguard have stopped all the boats (even though its flat calm).

I read a report that said it reached Cat 5 (super typhoon) already. It's predicted to be the biggest storm on the planet this year.

Ferries from Luzon-Batangas are already closed down in anticipation. Main strike is across the central islands - the size and track is scarily simular to the big typhoon that hit in 1991 and devastated central Cebu..

I believe that was 1989, super typhoon Ruping. I was on Mactan when that hit. Back in those days there was no internet (for us anyway) and we had no idea what was coming. 20 some ships overturned in Cebu harbor. I saw sheets of GI roofing flying through the air. Incridible.

This one now seems to be tracking more north. Like more towards Mindoro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom