Watch this video of the Blue Hole of Dahab before it is deleted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think focusing on the diver’s ineptitude is a bit misguided.

I think our focus would be better spent on identifying the certifying association’s regional leader and petitioning him to suspend or terminate the instructor’s authorization to teach (provided there is conclusive proof who the instructor is).

I don’t think @Scuba Lawyer has opined yet (and perhaps he can’t for prudent professional reasons) but I’ll proffer this is an egregious level of gross negligence as an instructor for not doing a better assessment of the diver or perhaps a willful violation of standards merely for profit.

Whether negligence or willful violation, the instructor needs to be benched either for remedial instructor training or ethics training (or both).

That he may have collected the bones of the deceased is not something that can be totally ignored and may have bearing on the degree of consequences the certifying association imposes. But those are services he provided as an individual. That doesn’t give him exceptional permission as an instructor to grossly endanger the lives of the untrained.

Sorry, but this is not about training or learning. This is about pure untainted stupidity and stupidity can’t be fixed. Lets hope they don’t endanger others, and let darwinism run its course. And yes, if there is an instructor or divemaster on this dive, they need to be taken out of the game.

It is one thing to bring down someone that presents the right credentials, realizing they do not have the knowledge or ability as presented on a single tank deep dive. But these guys are slinging multiple tanks and this dive should have be aborted for a gear or diver failure the minute the dive leader saw the guy hit the rocks like a sack of potatoes.

What irks me the most about this....

I'm not a tech diver. 100 or so dives in, I'm fixing to take a sidemount class in Houston in a couple of weeks, and when I get my personal fitness and dive skills back to the point I feel comfortable I will approach the instructor about tech classes. I have done some pretty nasty blackwater/entanglement/overhead dives with the fire dept I was with.

All that being said, even I can point out 10+ MAJOR red flags in what they're doing. Gear configuration that should never be in the water at any depth, trim issues..... yall know what's wrong, a helluva lot better than me.

Why if I, a mildly experienced diver with no tech training that's read and studied a bit on the net, can see know this, could someone whom spent that much time and money to go dive not do any research?

I guess I grew up poor.... i work for what I have now, I've just never had the kind of money that would encourage me to make a trip and do something that stupid without a little research.

I agree I'm rec only, from the outset that guy looked worse than I did on my first OW checkout.......... and I thought my OW training was piss poor, did this guy even pass it?

I agree I'm rec only, from the outset that guy looked worse than I did on my first OW checkout.......... and I thought my OW training was piss poor, did this guy even pass it?

Probably the same way they "passed" the prerequisites for this to.

I look at that, and think about how anxious I am to take intro to cave, and dont feel so bad.

Now I'm anxious...
No kidding. When I read "uncertified" diver, I assume it meant just that. Not even OW. He appeared to be trying to dump air all the time.

Did he/they actually make it back to the surface intact? What was the "accident", other than taking this guys money..?

He was overwhelmed I think, but he never seemed even close to panicked. .

I see this all the time at half that depth plus a bit in the Blue Hole in Belize. A boat load of unqualified divers being puked into the Hole and it's pretty much left up to chance whether they survive. The number of people that see my camera and swim over to me at 150', narked out of their gourds, whip their reg out of their mouths and give me a big toothy smile, and that "rock on" hand signal is significant. I'm seriously considering writing "Please stick your sucky-thing back in your mouth. You're about to die." in thick black Sharpie on a slate.

This guy didn't seemed to be panicked because he had no idea the risk he was taking. Nor did he grasp how quickly things can take a giant dump at that depth, Instructor-buddy or not.

I believe the expression is "Ignorance is bliss."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom