"Watchdog"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I just changed the battery in my trusty Petral, and for the first time, I got a warning (it was in yellow, so I assume it's a warning...) that said "Watchdog Reset" and then a "Confirm" request... Which I did.

I had a look on the SW website and downloaded a fresh manual, which suggests that there could be a hardware issue or a battery "bounce" whatever that is. The only other mention of it was something about a firmware update that fixed this, and a suggestion that this "Watchdog" was triggered after the battery was out for "several hours"... which mine was not... just long enough to clean and lube the o-ring.

Everything appears to be running fine... so more curious than anything, since I have not seen this before. Do I need to be concerned?

Can someone explain, please and thank you!

Last edited:
I can explain the watchdog concept, here is a rambling explanation: Watchdog timer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably what happened is that your battery replacement powerup sequence hit a small (random) window where the watchdog circuit kicked in before the SW firmware was fully operational. This is an uncommon edge condition that is very hard to thoroughly test and debug.

A watchdog is a hardware circuit independent of the embedded computer that will reset the computer if the computer fails to "tickle" the watchdog on a regular basis. So if the computer goes crazy and crashes the watchdog will eventually spank it (generally well within a second). Hopefully upon restart the computer will behave normally. Watchdogs are considered a normal part of any embedded computer design. In the old days the watchdog was external circuitry, now-a-days it is built into many (most? all?) embedded controllers. It is a simple concept that is often done very wrong.

If you are really worried, pull the battery and try it again.

If you are really worried, pull the battery and try it again.

Thanks Giffenk... I put a couple of dives on it today and everything seemed as it should be. My battery swap took a little longer than usual since I popped the o-ring, inspected and lubed it, and replaced, in preparation for an upcoming trip, but it was still only 90 seconds or so, but that might have been enough.

I liked your idea of pulling the battery... I have done that twice just now and everything seems hunky-dory.

I sent a note to Shearwater last night as well, and if they tell me anything different that what is posted above, I'll be certain to post it.

Thanks~

Hmmm... may have spoken too soon... After a couple of battery pulls, everything seemed fine, but as I scrolled through the menu items to configure a new gas, I got another Watchdog warning, which, when I "confirmed", I then got a "Tissues WD" warning...

I decided to change to a different frsh battery (different pack) in case a bum battery was in play, but I was able to duplicate the error messages again following some rapid scrolling through the menus.

Since then, I updated the firmware again, although it only reloaded the same version...

Supplementary email sent to SW... I'll keep you posted.

Was that done at their suggestion?
Yes! Tyler responded to my note and said to send it back to them. I'm heading to BC shortly and have promised to get it back to me pronto.

When I was investigating this, I found a very old thread on RB World about this error in one of their early computers. In that case, the device would "reboot" and clear out residual gasses in the process. :eek:

And after being away for a whole three days, it is being sent back!
Not too shabby to say the least~ :)

Oh ya, no charge.

These guys could write a book on keeping customers happy.

I received my Petral back on Thursday.. The parts list would suggest that it's a new everything, except the case. They even replaced my screen... it was a tiny bit scuffed.

And they tossed in a new pouch and straps, a t-shirt and even a wee sticker. Clearly they have mistaken me for a celebrity! The 'pooter itself seems to be just fine, and I"m heading out momentarily to test it out!

Fantastic service!

@Shearwater : ummmmm... Ice dive today. Battery was below 1/3 power, so I quickly swapped it. Got the confirmation of tissue reset (expected, and no problem), but after dive, when undressing, I got the watchdog error.....

Petrel1... Original owner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom