Watching movies underwater on your phone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did a little search on this and could not find much so maybe I missed previous threads on it so sorry in advance.

Anyways my question is what setup are people using for watching movies underwater. I have some friends that are using the Dri-Dock brand phone bag thingy with water headphones but the screen function does not work after about 1-2 meters so they are just putting old Mp3 players in them to at least have music to listen to.

I have looked at the Divevolk phone housing but I do not know anyone that has one and cant seem to get much info on them not very many informative reviews on YouTube about them either. The website claims it has audio in and audio out but I still can not figure out how it works. I also watched a review on it and it looks like if you have an iPhone 11 (what I have) you cant even use it because the housing screen is too small for the phone screen to allow you to unlock the phone so I'm very skeptical about this housing as well.

What I am looking for is a phone housing (any phone I'm open to buying a cheepy used phone just for this) that is waterproof to 6 meters min and has an audio out port so I can use water headphones and also allows for use of the touch screen. If anyone has any good experiences or products please let me know.

Thanks!

Also sorry I'm sure most are wondering what idiot is watching movies underwater this is for long deco stops from 9 meters to 6 meters to 3 meters you get some really really boring times and a little netflix or phone games would make time pass so much faster.

We used to take paperback novellas and comic books in our goodie bags to read during long decos. Not very environmentally friendly as we would tear out the page we just read and let it drift off in the current. Oh well, good memories of diving in the 1970's. I guess an iPhone is the 21st Century equivilent. :)

cc: @Sam Miller III

We used to take paperback novellas and comic books in our goodie bags to read during long decos. Not very environmentally friendly as we would tear out the page we just read and let it drift off in the current. Oh well, good memories of diving in the 1970's. I guess an iPhone is the 21st Century equivilent. :)

cc: @Sam Miller III
You could put a Kindle Reader in a waterproof case. There are versions with physical buttons for turning the pages. I have no idea if it would survive the pressure.

Haha, thanks guys for the old school book idea and the kindle idea but really I was hoping to find something for my phone that allows me to work the touchscreen and also plug in water headphone. So far best thing I can come up with is the Dri-Dock phone case bag thingy but like I said its not ideal for the touch screen part.

Is your phone going on the rest of the dive with you, or is it just waiting at the deco stop?

Alltab | Valtamer

This is a tablet that was supposed to be good to 90 or 150 meters depending on the version. They announced in in 2017. The company website is still up, but the buy page says it's in Beta testing and to contact them.

No phone is just going to be used at the last couple deco stops. Will be brought in by support divers at 6 meters.

Do not need anything with crazy depth rating just want it to work at 6 meters and the touch screen to work and also have a way to use headphones.

If you had a cheap phone or an old phone then try this... since most of an iPhone (and others) are metal and glass... try taping all of the seams with perhaps tape to seal a box with. And maybe tape all of those seams twice. Metal won’t leak. Glass won’t leak. Might work perfect. Downside would be that a touch screen will have issues because it’s all wet. You may have a dry phone internally but no touch screen sensitivity

Back
Top Bottom