Watching movies underwater on your phone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely agree on this, people can't even accept the fact that others are bored on deco and want to catch up on their favorite show?
Blasphemy!

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there is something wrong with those who do.
I understand the concept of to each his or her own, and the logic of being non-judgmental, but things with these hand held 'devices', these text/photo/phone/google/apps devices have exceeded all reason. They have become a narcotic. I enjoy watching movies made at least 15 years ago because people on the street were acting normally. Now countless users clog up the streets while walking slowly, staring at them, or constantly checking one while supposedly enjoying a meal with someone, or even surreptitiously glancing down at one while driving. It's too much. I remember Phonebusters, when these things first came out and a few people were so crude and impolite as to hold loud conversations in public with an invisible person, a one sided conversation audible to everyone. Phonebusters snatched them away and smashed them on the ground. Resistance was futile, as it has turned out. These things are a truly ugly phenomenon, their misuse and overuse reflective of the crass uncouth society we have become.

I understand the concept of to each his or her own, and the logic of being non-judgmental, but things with these hand held 'devices', these text/photo/phone/google/apps devices have exceeded all reason. They have become a narcotic. I enjoy watching movies made at least 15 years ago because people on the street were acting normally. Now countless users clog up the streets while walking slowly, staring at them, or constantly checking one while supposedly enjoying a meal with someone, or even surreptitiously glancing down at one while driving. It's too much. I remember Phonebusters, when these things first came out and a few people were so crude and impolite as to hold loud conversations in public with an invisible person, a one sided conversation audible to everyone. Phonebusters snatched them away and smashed them on the ground. Resistance was futile, as it has turned out. These things are a truly ugly phenomenon, their misuse and overuse reflective of the crass uncouth society we have become.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Just like the people on the other end of your argument are entitled to their opinion.
Just because someone wants to enjoy a nice show or book on their kindle during deco that doesn't mean that they are anything like the people you described in your post, seems like an awfully black and white way of seeing things.

I remember Phonebusters, when these things first came out and a few people were so crude and impolite as to hold loud conversations in public with an invisible person, a one sided conversation audible to everyone. Phonebusters snatched them away and smashed them on the ground. Resistance was futile, as it has turned out. These things are a truly ugly phenomenon, their misuse and overuse reflective of the crass uncouth society we have become.
Wait, you can talk on a smartphone?

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Just like the people on the other end of your argument are entitled to their opinion.
Just because someone wants to enjoy a nice show or book on their kindle during deco that doesn't mean that they are anything like the people you described in your post, seems like an awfully black and white way of seeing things.
I can see enjoying a book or a show on a small device while undergoing a long decomp, assuming the individual is acutely aware of what they are supposed to be doing and able to remain undistracted and in communication with others who are also involved in the process.

I've seen some amazing things while hanging on a line, things in the plankton stream, tiny but fascinating. The ropes are small ecosystems, with all sorts of life forms inhabiting them. In clear tropical waters staring down at the top of the reef can give a unique perspective, things usually unseen because they are going on behind you during a normal dive. If someone would rather catch up on a show, that's their business. I've heard that some people watch TV during sex. Who am I to criticize?

It's an interesting idea, but I wonder how many people are actually doing it.

This present generation can't put down their phones. I saw a device the other day where you can attach a device around your neck to hold your phone so that you be doing other things while talking or viewing your phone.

I am sure it is legit, I think maybe the models for older phones are sold out, perhaps that's what it says $0.99, see the Amazon listing below.

I actually bought one of these years ago and used it as a camera with an old iPhone 5 while on a trip to Bonaire, it worked okay but it was only good while snorkeling and I lost interest in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Watershot-Housing-iPhone-Snorkel-Blue/dp/B0713XWN4K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=328VCA6V22MHO&dchild=1&keywords=watershot+iphone+11&qid=1605031550&sprefix=watershot,aps,168&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWTZMVjRGVklRUjVIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDcyMjIxMVFVOUlKNFRUTENHNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjY0NTM4MzVaWUxBWDhHTkhMQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Depth Rating: 195ft/60m
  • $120.99

Back in the '50s and '60s before these devices, we would blow air rings to the surface while undergoing a long decompression.
Think it's easy try it some time, it takes control and patience. practice and time. When you're doing decompression you have the time.
blowing air rings underwater - Google Search

Kind of makes me wish I had old phones laying around. I do have a couple old note9's but housings tend not to fit that phone. All my others I trade in when there's a new phone.

I am sure it is legit, I think maybe the models for older phones are sold out, perhaps that's what it says $0.99, see the Amazon listing below.

I actually bought one of these years ago and used it as a camera with an old iPhone 5 while on a trip to Bonaire, it worked okay but it was only good while snorkeling and I lost interest in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Watershot-Housing-iPhone-Snorkel-Blue/dp/B0713XWN4K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=328VCA6V22MHO&dchild=1&keywords=watershot+iphone+11&qid=1605031550&sprefix=watershot,aps,168&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWTZMVjRGVklRUjVIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDcyMjIxMVFVOUlKNFRUTENHNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjY0NTM4MzVaWUxBWDhHTkhMQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I got the info from your link.
https://www.amazon.com/Watershot-Ho...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Back
Top Bottom