Water clogged ears several days after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the 60/40 alcohol and vinegar for about a year now after every dive.
I did a search on swimmers ear and came across the recipe on a web site it works great for getting the water out. I use an old childrens Tylenol bottle with a eye dropper built in the lid. Made a label with my label maker and keep it in my Plano accessory box with all my other supplies

cek88:
My BF and I got our OW cert. dives in this weekend and now he says he feels like his ears are still clogged. He's tried equalizing and put some of those "swimmer's ear" drops in his ears but nothing has helped. Is this common and is there anything he can do about them?

My ears felt water logged, and that lasted for many days afterward. I even went an purchased some docs proplugs. I've never used them, and have never had issues since. That was 30+ dives ago as deep as 117fsw.

I had a lot of problems equalizing in my OW classes, and I believe it was because I was basically trying to do so to late. Now I generally equalize the entire decent. During my Key Largo dives, I was the boat spotter for our little team (my cuz stayed down) and my decents were head down as fast as I could swim equalizing all the way. The key, equalize early, and often, just like PADI or whomever will tell you, but maybe most don't take that to heart.

I've had zero issues since OW, and while if this condition persists see a doctor, your mate may have just had a case of what I had which was EQ problems that resulted in issues with the ears that can be prevented by good EQ for future dives.

cek88:
My BF and I got our OW cert. dives in this weekend and now he says he feels like his ears are still clogged. He's tried equalizing and put some of those "swimmer's ear" drops in his ears but nothing has helped. Is this common and is there anything he can do about them?

Stand on one leg and vigorously shake the other. It helps to hold on to something. :wink:

ScubaSarus:
What does the vinegar do in the ear solution ? I know alcohol helps to dry things.

Vinegar is 5% acetic acid solution. The ocean is very "base" (opposite of acid) so getting acid back in helps. You will see some commercial ear washes use alcohol and boric acid, and some will toss in some glycerin just to soften up the mix.

But the vinegar alcohol in any mix is probably one of the best. Handy to keep the vinegar around too incase you get stung by anything. Jellies, fire coral, etc... soak with vinegar. You'll smell like a salad... but it will stop most ocean stings.

I actually put a drop of peroxide in the ear especially when clogged with fresh water. No harm done so far and enjoy the fizzling sensation.

recently i also heard a recommendation for ear candleing ..... i haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a lot of trouble to perform on a boat unless it is a sleepy live-aboard, but maybe it would help your ears be in overall better condition PRIOR to the dive? not sure.

???[/QUOTE]

Uhm ... whats candling?

Regards

Just a note on ear candeling (ear conning). Take a wax cone place it in ear light on fire creating vaccuum that supposed to suck up stuff out of the ear.

Following is from a discussion board:

: Has anyone ever tried candleing their ears with ear cones or candles? I have problems with ears being plugged due to fluid in the middle ear. I have had tubes. They have fallen out now. I also have ringing in the left ear and it has been there for over a year. It changes pitches. Have you ever heard of that? I have heard of ear candleing and thought I might give it a try. Any suggestions?

My husband has seen ear candling at work and has several co-workers who use it often. He tried it at home with some success. It will not help with ear fluid though I can tell you that. Only tubes and/or antibiotics can help with that and if that doesn't work you will probably wind up with permanent hearing loss. I say this from personal expierence. I had fluid post measles as a child and they tried everything to get rid of it but nothing worked. I would suggest you see your ENT doctor and let him prescribe the best type of treatment for you ear problems. Fluid in the ears is not something you want to try to handle on your own since you risk permanent hearing loss. Good luck.

ce28 - I get the same thing every time I go diving. The ear solutions don't do anything for me. I'm water logged and lasts for at least a week every time. Last time I dove I tried a decongestant pill for a day or so and that seemed to do the trick. Or it went away by itself again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom