Water in BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I get done diving, I generally hang my BC upside down, inflated. At that point the inflater becomes the lowest point on the BC, and any water runs into the inflater. You can then lift the BC (still upside down) over a sink or tub, and release any water that has drained into it. This may need to be done more than once depending on how much water is in the BC.

As others have stated, you can also remove the inflater or lower dump valve, and rinse the inside of the BC. If I've been in saltwater, I rinse the inside of the BC after every trip. If you dive salt on a regular basis, rinsing out the inside of the BC should be part of your maintenance drill after each trip. I don't do so after every dive day, as I just get it wet again the next day. But if you plan on letting it sit for more than a couple of days, IMO rinsing the inside is prudent.

Make sure anything you rinse the inside of the BC with does not react with rubber. Soapy water followed by a water rinse should be enough, but won't give your BC minty breath like mouthwash will! :D

I've heard the "add mouthwash" advice before and I'm skeptical that it will killl mold, bacteria, etc. My skepticism is based upon the fact that many mouthwashs are not bactericidal to start with because they're alcohol based and alcohol is only germicidal in high concentrations (> 70%). Adding mouthwash and swishing it around is likely to dilute it from the water that's already in the BC to below the point where it's effective, particularly against mold, fungus, etc. There are some mouthwashes that contain germicidals like triclosan which would be effective, but I think they may be prescription only since wiping out *all* oral flora often leads to other oral infections like candida (yeast).

A diluted Chlorox solution would be far more effective as an anti-microbial/anti-fungal, but I'm not sure about its effect on the bladder, and spilling in on the BC fabric might bleach it. If I'm not mistaken, the product BC Life contains nonoxyl-9, which is a fairly potent germicide, and also contains silicone to help condition the bladder.

Venting when empty will get water in but if you are getting a significant amount inside you are venting too often.

Can mean you are overweighted which can result in a vicious cycle of inflate-deflate-inflate-deflate...

When we return from dive trips, I rinse our equipment (all of it) in an oversized dustbin with water and some regular disinfectant. This includes the inside of the BCD.

Back
Top Bottom