Water temp in Red Sea in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I’m looking for some feedback on water temperatures in the Red Sea in mid December. I’m planning to book a fairly last minute liveaboard, but I tend to feel the cold. I was wondering about booking a Deep South itinerary for that reason, but I’m not sure how big a difference that makes. I have done Northern Red Sea before, and love the wrecks, but also happy with reef diving. (Also done a BDE itinerary but happy to repeat.) I’ve seen some suggestions of temps of 21-22C, and others up to 26C. I want to at least be warm and take the best suit so will possibly take a 7mm, though also own a 5mm.

Thanks in advance!

It's hard to say, I have seen everything between 20C and 26C over the years, with the south usually aroun 24C. For me it's dry suite time; it can get quite windy and it's far more comfortable coming out of the water and not start shivering. I'd also recommend a thin hood.

I did the deep South last Xmas 16-21 Dec, temp was 24 degrees C at 33m, max 26 degrees shallower. We had good warm weather with little wind which wasn't typical. I wore a Waterproof 7mm wetsuit for the week and was fine. I dive dry normally but it was nice not to have to bother and it always out of wetsuit pretty sharpish.. btw 3mm gloves and 10mm hood.

Thanks for the replies. I opted for a Maldives trip instead! Will look to dive the Red Sea at a warmer time of year.
You chose well, at least in my area of the Red sea at around November - December its cold and the visibility is not as great as it can be , would be better to come around summer time. I would say May is roughly the time you would want to come.

You chose well, at least in my area of the Red sea at around November - December its cold and the visibility is not as great as it can be , would be better to come around summer time.

But in the summer its 30C to warm at the boat and the water is like boiling.
The Red Sea is wonderfull to dive, the only sad part is the temperature.

But in the summer its 30C to warm at the boat and the water is like boiling.
The Red Sea is wonderfull to dive, the only sad part is the temperature.

I dont consider warm water to be a down side, that way i can just put on my bathing suit & my gear and hop in the water, no need for wet suits or anything of the sort.
Sure the heat can be a bit annoying until you jump into the water but it sure beats wrestling with a wet suit in the cold if you ask me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom