Waterproof Drysuit Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepseamurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!
So after a year of losing my Waterproof D10, I finally had the funds accumulated to afford a new one, however, I am also looking at their other models such as the D7 and D1. They are a little more pricer, but is there really any difference, aside not being neoprene? Ive never worn trilaminate before. Would it be worth the money to invest in one? I loved my D10, but I also want to see how it stacks up to the D7 and D1. I like doing cold water diving where I live at and I've been itching to get back into the icy depths. Thanks in advance!

It’s funny to hear you say icy depths when your from CA lol . Our water here is a balmy 52 in the heat of summer. The big difference from what I have been told is stretch and flex you get with neoprene is not there with trilam. One of the guys I dive with has the trilam by Bare , we both wear the exact same undergarments and he is normally cold long before me( mine is a 4mm compressed Abyss drysuit)
That’s my .02

It’s funny to hear you say icy depths when your from CA lol . Our water here is a balmy 52 in the heat of summer. The big difference from what I have been told is stretch and flex you get with neoprene is not there with trilam. One of the guys I dive with has the trilam by Bare , we both wear the exact same undergarments and he is normally cold long before me( mine is a 4mm compressed Abyss drysuit)
That’s my .02
It’s says he lives in Bishop Ca. He may be diving the local lakes which are snow fed, just saying.

I’ve never used a waterproof suit, just can’t see spending that much when I can get a custom suit from Seaskin for a fraction of the cost, I would love to try one of the front zip neoprene suits though.

Owned a D1. Construction quality is the best I’ve seen of any suit(bare, Aqualung, santi, dui). They use very durable stitching materials.

But, I hated the inner suit on the D1. It’s like a scotchbrite pad on the skin if any is exposed. If you are the correct dimensions to fit the suit I wouldn’t hesitate going with maybe the d7.

FYI- I am shaped like a hobbit(5’4” 150lbs) so I had to have 4 inches taken off legs on a size small and my forearms barely fit in the suit with the liner.

That’s my .02

Yea I do alot of lake diving up here. lol I can do a 3mm out on the california coast easily. But it just don't cut it when the water temp is capable of freezing up your regulator, especially during winter time lol.
Thanks for the tip though. I knew a few people who used the Bare drysuit and they either loved it or hated it.

I have the D1 Hybrid and it is the best drysuit I have ever used or seen. The orange inner lining, which is all the undergarment you need, is amazing. (If you have bare skin while wearing a dry suit you are using it wrong.) I wear thin long shirts and leggings, and stay warm even in 48 degree water. The replacable silicone seals are excellent as well. Highly recommended!

I have the D1 and have found it to be very warm; local quarry can get down to 41 degrees and I've stayed comfortable with just light undergarments under armor for undergarments. That said, I also have the new Santi (elite+) and really love it, feels like I have a little more mobility in it, but I haven't gotten in 41 degree water with it yet; think I'll use their heavier undergarments for that. In either case, you may want to invest in a trip to a shop that sells what you're focusing on; get measured really well and get best input.

Back
Top Bottom