Waterproof printed lists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I would like to print a list of gear and to make it (possibly…) waterproof. Ideally, I would like to print a PVC card big more or less like a credit card, with a short list of gear, and tie it up to the BCD or inside a pocket with a short lanyard or similar. I noticed that this is possible, but not as cheap as I was hoping, because normally you have to print a minimum of at least 50 or 100 or these sort of PVC cards
So now I am thinking of printing simply on paper and cover it with transparent plastic, perhaps something like a waterproof transparent plastic bag. Then if the list will get damaged print it again and cover it with plastic again. How do you do this normally?
Thanks

Print on paper and then laminate. Used this method for wreck diagrams in Vanuatu and Chuuk. Will certainly last all trip if you do it properly.

Waterproof Labels & Stickers - Shop Weatherproof, Durable Labels for Outdoor Use

If I was going to do this I'd print up the list on a waterproof label on my Brother label printer(a very handy gadget to have) and attach it to a plastic card as a backing, I printed up labels with my info for my Aggressor luggage tags and they've been fine for several years. Waterproof paper is also available for laser and ink jet printers.

Laminate at FedEx, but know this trick....

Leave a 1” margin all around, but on one edge, maybe 2”.

Punch your lanyard tether hole in that wide expanse of plastic....NOT through the paper.

Pretty obvious but only if you have screwed it up previously like me.

....go to kinkos .....

Kinkos, Kinkos, my Kingdom for a Kinkos

Yeah, I know. Theoretically if you can find somebody to help you at FedEx, they might be able to find that stuff.

I'm a big fan of Rite in the Rain cardstock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VSQ8DB . Little bit sturdier than the notebook paper and printable on a laserjet (but not inkjet) printer. Resists water well but is a little more eco-friendly than some of the more plastic options.

And/or use a laminator. If you do, make sure the lamination extends a few millimeters beyond the edge of the paper. If you trim right to the edge water can wick in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom